What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need some help here with my N. ventricosa x "Lady Pauline". I've had it for 2+ years now and it's just leggy and scrawny looking.
It was sold to me from a reliable ebay seller as a seedling. I've been growing it under intermediate conditions mostly.
I thought after the first year, it was in potting media that stayed to wet. So, I re-potted it using rooting hormone, LFS, fine orchid bark and perlite.
It produces very small leaves with some tiny pitchers, which never mature and slowly turn brown and die back. It does produce new growth but it's always very tiny and thin. It never looks like pictures I've seen on the web. Any help would greatly be appreciated!
9b8ca7f3-b7e7-41e0-ba2d-c7fd8b418a25_zpsaafmq1im.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

d90aebcf-7d7a-4716-98db-0e6256f29a52_zpsw46tnbdr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

N.%20Ventricosa%20x%20Lady%20Pauline%20top%20view_zpsx22yrzjw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Please describe in detail the growing conditions, including humidity readings, daytime and nighttime temperatures, water quality/frequency, etc. "I've been growing it under intermediate conditions mostly." is too vague to be useful in diagnosing the plant's condition. Thanks.

The old growth looks especially dry and pitted, have you checked for mites? The media also looks fairly degraded for just a year's time.

We need more details. Take one of the older leaves and look under a microscope for mites though, if you think the plant can handle losing one.

Please describe in detail the growing conditions, including humidity readings, daytime and nighttime temperatures, water quality/frequency, etc. "I've been growing it under intermediate conditions mostly." is too vague to be useful in diagnosing the plant's condition. Thanks.

Humidity 60 to 65% during day and 70 to 73% during night. Daytime temps 72 to 75 F. Nighttime temps 62 to 66 F. Rain water mostly; however when I first received it I watered it with tap water the first month not knowing better.

I am no expert, but I had a 5 foot nepenthes alata die out on me this summer the exact same way. It had-what are they called? oh yeah mealybugs in its roots.

The old growth looks especially dry and pitted, have you checked for mites? The media also looks fairly degraded for just a year's time.

The old growth is pitted and dryish looking. The media is fresh LFS, fine orchid bark, and perlite. However, the orchid bark is old and was used from another nepenthes I no longer have. Can I clean the leaves with something like neem oil?

Back