What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maxsea, when to flush?

Hi all,
Iv been opening old threads, and nearly all suggests that after applying maxsea then need to flush, but none of them exactly telling when to flush.
Perhaps every plants require different treatment.
Can you guys share your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I'm glad I saw this! I totally forgot to flush the pots today after max sea- thanks for the reminder! my guess is that it depends on a few factors, including dilution, species, and general conditions. I'm going to flush the pots now, and it's been twelve hours plus. I use a very weak concentration though.. I'll let you know if I see any difference. Also working on a batch of egg water, considering 'the coffee treatment'- any experience with those?

Flushing the fertiliser before use has been just fine in my experience.

I usually flush the day after, three or four times with rainwater. A week or so later I get a blast of new growth that lasts about two weeks.

Good advice fltropic. Would you say once a month is too much?

Once a month always seem to be fine, during the summer. Honestly I forget, and probably average every six weeks or less. During winter I'd do it once every two months, as long they are still growing.

Thank you guys for sharing.

I dont have any experience with coffee treatment.
If im about to fertilize, then this is going to be the first time.
Few days ago, i try to feed my neps with osmocote. Well lets see if it burns the pitcher or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soo..I fertilized with a weak maxsea solution as I mentioned, and the next round of leaves coming out on all treated plants are considerably smaller than seems usual..or maybe they were just revealed sooner? it seems very consistent across the plants treated- thoughts?

I'd think it's a bit too soon to see any impact on leaf size. Watch to see what the pitchers do. Any impact should play out 2 to six weeks after treatment. Nepenthes are very slow growers, at least under my conditions.

Usually I'd agree with you, but somethings up for sure- three or four different species of neps all revealing their next leaves right after their first root treatment, and each leaf is half the size of the one before. Maybe it's the increasing light and heat at this time of the year, they're on a windowsill grow shelf; the leaves just revealed might've been developing smaller due to increased light and heat, then were exposed early in one flush of growth after fertilization..? My only theory

D'Amato and others do say to fertilize less in winter, but since this is your first time I don't think that's the issue. Are these highlanders and intermediates? If so, then I'd agree - light and temp are probably your culprit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back