What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lasting attributes from seedling to adulthood for Plants, Question

* Lasting attributes from seedling to adulthood of Plants, Question

Hi Everyone! /excuse my english, not native language !

I want to buy a baby Nepenthes. All germinated by the exact same light, temperature, moisture and water conditions. Some of them have three leafs/pitchers, and some have four..and some shows slightly different pitcher sizes.

My question is : Did you guys detected an observable growht "pattern" or specific attributes since your plant early stages, that keeps mantaining and lasting when the plant reachs maturity? (for example, big leafs or small leafs (or pitchers), more leafs and less pitchers, or more pitchers and less leafs <-(don't know if it's possible for them to grow just a leaf with no pitcher, anyway)

Like (another example) that baby nepenthes who had good and fast leaf proliferation (in good and stable conditions) since being seedling, keeps the same attribute today?

I found some coincidences with other plant species which I germinated. My pumpkins, for example, one of them seems to be more tiny and prone to dehydration than others...now, that same plant keeps showing the same behaviour.

Thanks you! :)

Last edited:
As far as I know, Nepenthes should always produce a pitcher per leaf as long as the conditions promote pitchering (if your conditions aren't promoting pitchering, the plant probably won't last long either). Also, when it comes to observable attributes such as pitcher and leaf size, most of it comes down to conditions. Nepenthes will produce larger leaves when they have access to more nutrients. Usually, people may feed a pitcher an osmocote pellet to promote "leaf jumps" (when the next leaf that developes is much bigger than the previous leaves). There are other methods of fertilization, but I tend to avoid it, as to avoid over-doing it.

I am not sure about growth rate of seedlings versus adults, but I imagine that some start slow slow growing, and pick up the pace later, and some may grow fast at first and then slow down.

Again, it mostly comes down to the conditions you provide.

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

As far as I know, Nepenthes should always produce a pitcher per leaf as long as the conditions promote pitchering

Oh, maybe you're right. I edited for avoid confusion :eek:

Last edited:
The only time that you might see a lot of leaves but no pitchers is when a Nepenthes is vining. During this stage, a Nepenthes will still eventually produce pitchers on the leaves, but it will focus more on rapidly producing leaves.

(thank for that information, I didn't know that vining stage)

However, returning to the subject at hand, I still thinking that some seedlings are better than others :/

Last edited:
Back