User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 128 of 192

Thread: Doomsday's Pictures and Videos

  1. #121
    Doomsday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus follicularis


    Drosera sp. "Floating" and a hitchhiker (spatulata?):


  2. #122
    hcarlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO, USA
    Posts
    4,027
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitchhiker's definitely spatulata. Love the look of the admirabilis, but looking at pictures recently I've come to wonder: what, exactly, are the traits that separate this species from aliciae? Many seem squatter in general but some have some rather elongate leaves like their relative.....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

  3. #123
    Doomsday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Hitchhiker's definitely spatulata. Love the look of the admirabilis, but looking at pictures recently I've come to wonder: what, exactly, are the traits that separate this species from aliciae? Many seem squatter in general but some have some rather elongate leaves like their relative.....
    Thanks for the confirmation on the spatulata. I thought my plants were sterile because I never found a seed, but perhaps they aren't or one snuck in when the sp. floating seed I received was getting packaged...

    As for aliciae, I haven't grown it but they do seem pretty similar in structure. Based on my sp floating plants, and the pics of drosera aliciae, I'd say sp floating grows densely, and drosera aliciae has a bit more of a spoon shape to the end of the leaves.

  4. #124
    hcarlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO, USA
    Posts
    4,027
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the aliciae I grow; leaves are a pretty even tapered strap from one end to the other. venusta and slackii are "spoon" shaped, but I wouldn't qualify either alice or admirab as such.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

  5. #125
    Doomsday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Not the aliciae I grow; leaves are a pretty even tapered strap from one end to the other. venusta and slackii are "spoon" shaped, but I wouldn't qualify either alice or admirab as such.
    Do your aliciae have indents at the ends of the leaves, giving them a slight scoop shape? My sp. "floating" seedlings don't. Also, how much does aliciae move when fed? These guys move a lot. The entire leaf folds. When I feed them a lot, the whole top layer of leaves folds exposing the second layer... Also, admirabilis is supposed to get tall over time.. due to the layers of dead leaves... Does aliciae do that?

  6. #126
    Doomsday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dionaea muscipula 'Akai Ryu' explants:

  7. #127
    hcarlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO, USA
    Posts
    4,027
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Do your aliciae have indents at the ends of the leaves, giving them a slight scoop shape? My sp. "floating" seedlings don't. Also, how much does aliciae move when fed? These guys move a lot. The entire leaf folds. When I feed them a lot, the whole top layer of leaves folds exposing the second layer... Also, admirabilis is supposed to get tall over time.. due to the layers of dead leaves... Does aliciae do that?
    Most of the time, no; when they do, it's slight. They move just as much as most sundews (entire leaf can roll if covered in enough food), and aliciae does form a column, though I tend to trim dead leaves so it doesn't always last.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

  8. #128
    Doomsday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some new stuff from Europe... Nothing has acclimated or grown any leaves under my care yet. I just potted these up this afternoon.

    Bought as Drosera ascendens:


    D. falconeri:


    Cephalotus follicularis:


    D. dichrosepala/oreopodion (mixed them up):


    D. dichrosepala/oreopodion (mixed them up):


    D. broomensis:

Similar Threads

  1. Doomsday's Trading Station
    By Doomsday in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-22-2016, 11:04 PM
  2. Doomsday's GrowList
    By Doomsday in forum Grow List
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 01:17 PM
  3. Doomsday's Trade Thread
    By Doomsday in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 06:14 PM
  4. Doomsday's Growlist
    By Doomsday in forum Grow List
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 06:05 PM
  5. Doomsday's Pics #2
    By Doomsday in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •