What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doomsday's Pictures and Videos

the sundews are looking awesome. What medium do you use for the sphagnum, I'm thinking about starting my own culture. Thanks.
Thanks! Burmannii is growing so quickly. For my sphagnum, I don't use any media. I grow it by itself. Put it in a tray you that allows it to cover the entire bottom with an inch or two of live sphag to prevent drying out. I keep the water level right under the moss heads, when the culture is starting up.

It appears that this will be easier than I thought, thanks.

Another question where did you get your starter moss, if you're allowed to say, thanks.

It appears that this will be easier than I thought, thanks.

Another question where did you get your starter moss, if you're allowed to say, thanks.
As long as you keep it from ever drying out, and start with a clean culture (no bacteria growth, no algae, and no fungus) you'll be good to go. Live sphag does a good job of keeping itself clean from those things once you have it growing well as an established colony. It's mostly a problem when you receive a bag of moss that also has a bunch of other plant matter and dead bugs in it. Those rot much more easily.

I got mine on ebay. Someone here was saying that the seller I got mine from sent him a bad batch a while back, but mine came in great condition. Lots of live green sphag, very little dead sphag, and almost no other plant matter in there aside from a few little weeds that sprout and are easily picked out. Stuff loves to hitchhike in live sphag since it's such a great growing media, and protects small plants from rot.

Thanks for the care tips. I just received your pm about the seller. I think I'll order it from him, you can't get much better than 99.7 percent positive feedback. When harvesting it can it just be ripped out and put in the pot or is there more to it than that? Thanks.

Thanks for the care tips. I just received your pm about the seller. I think I'll order it from him, you can't get much better than 99.7 percent positive feedback. When harvesting it can it just be ripped out and put in the pot or is there more to it than that? Thanks.
Anytime, man. You can rip it out and plant it. You can also trim the top layer of your moss and use that (works nicely for topdressing). Try to plant it so most of the moss heads are pointed upwards. It just speeds up growth imo instead of smothering the active growing point, and waiting for new heads to pop up.

The moss on my ceph pot is just now starting to get some active growth on the bare areas of moss, and should be covered in an even layer of heads in a several weeks. It grows more slowly than the moss in my culture, though, due to less moisture/humidity.

Cephalotus new mature pitcher:
3CEC1256-D42C-41C6-BA60-B2D84F69F0E0_zpstbylwrnw.jpg

D. burmanii "Humpty Doo"
3ACCF236-4A56-4922-8CA5-EAC27AB563B0_zpsj8ndkfr1.jpg

D. sp. "Lantau Island"
ab2261be-70e8-471a-8dd5-02cce5d7c657_zpsk43gshvx.jpg

Sphagnum culture post-timming and re-seeding the bare areas with the trimmed heads.
8816988F-F99B-47A0-B595-3453DAB9B4DD_zpsltaeirjb.jpg

D. burmannii eating:
F61C8892-D717-4A46-84B7-72CEF12FC8B2_zpslju3w5p1.jpg

D. spatulata flowers:
988B1281-DB14-4735-A264-07FB53A08B36_zpsjlkcpksa.jpg

D. capensis
D7E693B7-6994-4EDD-9EF0-B51866456B61_zpsq8k1qp0s.jpg

That's a nice shot of the D. spatulata flower stalk. It has a very graceful look. I also like your tray of sphagnum. 'Nicely grown!

Awesome, as per the norm. How are those Ceph cuttings doing?

Those "spatulata" flowers look more like my sterile tokaiensis form than any spatulata I grow, glands included.

Last edited:
D. burmannii "Humpty Doo" (sowed 1/22/16):
03460295-388A-4CAF-A1A0-A083D8A7B983_zpstgxv6qj5.jpg

Red Sphagnum Culture:
983AA842-C67D-4704-99EB-C543CA8A68A6_zps98ntnu48.jpg

Cephalotus newest fully formed pitcher with the next in line:
66D682F2-D47E-448D-97AE-E09966B9A0AD_zps5icpyqnx.jpg

D. spatulata leaf:
F9F86459-4852-46A1-AB44-E267C8E5B049_zps2wda80nn.jpg

D. sp. "Floating" looking meh due to being moved from one place in the pot, to another (overcrowding), but new leaves are growing ok:
64CDDE51-4F75-4234-BB46-EB0420B83052_zpsjgqc0wpr.jpg

The D. Burmani are looking excellent. Have you thought of posting a video of their fast acting traps?

The D. Burmani are looking excellent. Have you thought of posting a video of their fast acting traps?
Thanks! I'll take another now with my new phone and the biggest leaves, but here's one I posted on Instagram not too long ago: Instagram

Wow, those things are FAST! Awesome video.

Wow, those things are FAST! Awesome video.
Thanks! D. burmannii has quickly become one of my favorite dews. The two types of tentacles are a very cool addition to the typical drosera structure.

It is an awesome sundew. Also, how are your cephalotus leaf pulls doing?

It is an awesome sundew. Also, how are your cephalotus leaf pulls doing?
Unfortunately, they all died. Not sure why, but next time I work with ceph pullings, they are going into live sphagnum. The main plant is doing really well though.

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck if you try it again.

Wow, your ceph collection is so nice. I've been reinvigorated lately by cephalotus. I was wondering in the 1st post with the six little immature pitchers? are those cuttings? I've never tried making cutting with immature pitchers or leaves. What is your success rate?

Back