What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doomsday's Pictures and Videos

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck if you try it again.
Thanks. I'll probably wait to see if it makes any non-carnivorous leaves. I haven't seen any of those for years.
Wow, your ceph collection is so nice. I've been reinvigorated lately by cephalotus. I was wondering in the 1st post with the six little immature pitchers? are those cuttings? I've never tried making cutting with immature pitchers or leaves. What is your success rate?
Thanks! Yes, those were cuttings. they all died unfortunately, but I did get roots on at least 3 of them, before rot set in. Next time. I will be putting my ceph pullings in live sphagnum, which I suspect should take care of that problem. I used sterilized vermiculite:perlite, and while there was no visible fungal growth, or bacterial growth, the pitchers all eventually turned to mush, after doing so well for over a month.

So you got roots on the little guys but the succumbed to rot? Maybe I'll try this....Thanks for the reply! :)

Do tell us how it goes.

So you got roots on the little guys but the succumbed to rot? Maybe I'll try this....Thanks for the reply! :)
Yup. The pitchers almost all turned very red, and a few of them did strike and get roots, but then for some reason, they all turned to mush. Perhaps I should've given more airflow once roots were formed. Idk. Good luck with yours!
Do tell us how it goes.
Yea, definitely, @Flip. Report back if you give it a shot.

Drosera burmannii "Humpty Doo" Time Lapse*
0RMYXG.gif

*Better quality version on Instagram

Last edited:
Wow, how did you do that?!

Very nice! 'Makes me consider doing some timelapse with my camera. One of the settings I've never really played with.

Last edited:
whoa that is so awesome Doomsday! Do another one with a nepenthes pitcher that would be cool tool. Or a ceph.

Ill definitely let you know how it goes. Actually I might make some cuttings this weekend and make a short video.

I need to try that with my iPod touch. It could be quite interesting.

Very nice! 'Makes me consider doing some timelapse with my camera. One of the settings I've never really played with.
Thanks, man! You definitely should check it out. It adds a whole new dimension to the plant world.
whoa that is so awesome Doomsday! Do another one with a nepenthes pitcher that would be cool tool. Or a ceph.

Ill definitely let you know how it goes. Actually I might make some cuttings this weekend and make a short video.
Thanks! I agree pitchers would look very cool Time-Lapsed. I have a Nep pitcher and a Ceph pitcher forming now, actually. I'll try to get them recorded soon.

Good luck with your cuttings! LMK if you make that video, I'll check it out.
I need to try that with my iPod touch. It could be quite interesting.
You should, man. It's a lot of fun, but you do need a lot of patience, lmao.

New time lapse posted! This one is 36hr51min, including a feeding.

Another Time Lapse

D. capensis

Cool. What did you put in the leaf, an osmocote pellet?

Cool. What did you put in the leaf, an osmocote pellet?
Thanks. It's beta food. It came as pellets, and I ground most of it up, but some pieces stayed bigger, so I picked one of those for this video. I usually just feed the powdery part to my dews though, since it helps prevent leaf/tentacle burn, fungal/bacterial growth, and it usually gets completely absorbed within a few days, leaving the dews looking clean and sparkly.

Betta food, I would have never thought of that.

Betta pellets are a common choice to feed sundews with. I use them myself. They are the perfect size for larger plants like D. capensis and voracious plants like D. burmannii, but need to be crushed up for smaller ones. Get it down to a fine powder and you can even feed seedlings with it.

Strangely the main ingredient is fish, which isn't exactly normal sundew food, but they digest it just fine.

Doom, why do you not use trays for some of the pots? Isn't the runoff dripping all over the fixtures below?

Last edited:
Betta food, I would have never thought of that.

Betta pellets are a common choice to feed sundews with. I use them myself. They are the perfect size for larger plants like D. capensis and voracious plants like D. burmannii, but need to be crushed up for smaller ones. Get it down to a fine powder and you can even feed seedlings with it.

Strangely the main ingredient is fish, which isn't exactly normal sundew food, but they digest it just fine.

I like to use beta food, because it gets (almost) completely digested and absorbed, so the leaves can dew up again, and look new for much longer. Bugs can burn tentacles, and they leave their shells there to rot after being eaten. What I did, was grind up an entire small container of beta pellets, and it is lasting me years. A few bits stayed bigger, like the one in this video, but the large majority of it is powder/sand. The big ones, I just use for burmannii, regia, capensis, etc..

Doom, why do you not use trays for some of the pots? Isn't the runoff dripping all over the fixtures below?
I was waiting until I had enough to set up my tray, and then I've honestly just been a bit lazy with it. I know they're not completely waterproof, by any means, but I sealed up the part where the wires attach to the light fixtures on the bottom shelf, so water runs off of them. I still don't like it though, and am going to set up another tray very soon.
I probably wont put my vft's, ping, or ceph in it though. Only the dews.

I usually water my ceph by heavily misting the moss on top, and then every few days when the pot gets lighter, I soak it, including the plant itself, since the root ball is in the center, in a big chunk of peat/sand.

Last edited:
D.m. "Coquillage"
c8c3fbcf-13d1-4719-ad72-ed7af0e0321c_zps37bgjt0m.jpg

D.m. 'Wacky Traps'
8B59BA4F-E6C4-4D0E-AF04-96BE3395D9FA_zpssvfdtniy.jpg

D. sp. "Floating" seedling making a great recovery
4F60D2AD-2C7D-488F-973F-2311B0025540_zpslpmzvri3.jpg

Seeing if any of these D. spatulata flowers bloom today for a new time-lapse video.
B2269233-1AC2-46EA-85B6-DB2A9A66A737_zpsxdnc3waa.jpg

Back