What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about wading pools as water trays

I've heard that some people will use wading pools as plant trays for larger collections. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to consolidate my plants into one, but I have a couple questions.

• What's the best way to control the water level when it rains a lot? Even short pools are taller than most CP pots.
  • I understand people these are generally lined with black plastic to prevent UV damage. Wouldn't this heat the water up too much during the summer or is it not a problem with a larger amount of water?

Any information would be very helpful.

The easiest way to control the water level is to drill a hole at the desired level. I don't have issues with excess heat here in SE PA, but in hotter areas I suppose it could pose an issue.

1) A magic hole, large enough so that it doesn't clog with large soil particles
2) Black plastic is optional--adding fresh water moderates the temperature, particularly for me since I'm on a well.

1) A magic hole, large enough so that it doesn't clog with large soil particles
2) Black plastic is optional--adding fresh water moderates the temperature, particularly for me since I'm on a well.

I use a 1" hole saw. If that isn't large enough you should probably be mining the stuff instead if trying to grow plants in it!

I use a 1" hole saw. If that isn't large enough you should probably be mining the stuff instead if trying to grow plants in it!

Thing is, I used to just cut a slit with scissors. The peat/perlite splashes out, floats, and then forms a mat that plugged the slits up. It's the aggregation that gets to be.... aggravating!

I just thought of one more question. If I have one of these only half full, would it be advisable to cover up the rest to try to cut down on evaporation?

I stopped by a pet store today that according to their website had some pools in stock (for bathing dogs) only to be told that they only carry those during the summer. I suppose I'll have to keep looking. I need more space so I can repot Sarracenia into larger pots, as I am out of smaller water trays.

Wooden crate + polythene = Sarracenia lagoon

Those inexpensive plastic wading pools don't typically show up in stores until June or July. I use those extensively for my Sarracenia and they work very well. Poke a hole at least 1/4" in diameter at the height where you want the maximum water level to be. A large diameter nail (or other metal instrument) can be heated in a flame to punch a hole. Be sure to use pliers to hold it, of course, to avoid burning yourself.

I raid the kiddie pool clearance of all big box stores, hardware stores, and drug stores in my area in the fall. Yard sales will also turn them up from time to time.

Thanks everyone. I hope I can find one before June since I need the space for repotting.

In case it may help, my local walmart is still full of Christmas goodies in the clearance section including quite big (24") wreath storage boxes that easily turn into 2 pools (cover + bottom)

I also got an ornament case on sale which is perfect for square 3.5" pots. You can fit 4x5 pots with 4 different lanes to have variable water levels. And if you keep the cover it's a nice germination setup too.

That's a great idea, thanks! I was thinking about checking Walmart anyway.

Thanks everyone. I hope I can find one before June since I need the space for repotting.

I can bring you an unused medium-sized one (40"?) to get you by if you are going to be at the meet on Saturday, you can return it to me or replace it when they start coming back out in stores this summer :-D Let me know if you are planning on being at the meet.

Last edited:
I can bring you an unused medium-sized one (40"?) to get you by if you are going to be at the meet on Saturday, you can return it to me or replace it when they start coming back out in stores this summer :-D Let me know if you are planning on being at the meet.

Thank you for the offer but I don't think that will fit in my car. 36" is about the limit for my trunk. I will be there tomorrow though!

Fred's insight is worth examining further, too. I made display boxes out of dimensional lumber and them lined them with plastic. You know, for aesthetics. Turns out kiddie pools are rather fugly. Making boxes was probably more hassle than you are looking for though.

Instead, think like Fred and use any sort of large, shallow vessel. Storage totes designed to slide under beds work well and can be had for a five bucks or so at WalMart and the like. Or I have also used big plastic mortar mixing tubs. These are similarly priced and are available at every big box home store.

71m7l5bg9OL._SX522_.jpg

Be creative enough and you won't even have to line anything with poly. Good luck, chap!

I am certainly keeping an eye out for alternatives. I swung by Walmart today and didn't find anything in their clearance isle, and nothing short enough in their storage section. The mortar tub is a good idea though, I didn't think to look for something like that.

This probably sounds super dorktastic, but I hate the sloping sides of those mortar tubs. IMO they make suitable minibogs but just suck at space-efficiently holding containers.

Okay, see you tomorrow!

Well I found a temporary solution. Turns out these 39L under-bed storage tubs are the perfect size for 10 gallon nursery pots.

4ygeRUZ.jpg

Back