What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 cu. ft. Sphagnum peat moss

So I bought organic no fertilizer added sphagnum peat moss from the store and this stuffs good. Was 10$ but damn I only needed it for a few plants and then some. How should I seal this up in trash bag or something? It's enough to pot an army of cp's. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same with a big bale of peat, and I just keep the bag it came in, in a black garbage bag, indoors so critters and water don't get in.

I leave it in the same bag and fold over the top. Sometimes I'll use a giant bag clip to close it if I can.

You'll be so proud when you finally go through the whole thing! :D

I left mine outdoors, but with a plastic cover over it so it doesn't fill up with rain. It does tend to grow moss and a little bit of fungus on top, and I've found slugs hiding in there a couple times. I'm thinking about drying it out and storing it in another container though since it's going to be quite degraded by the time I get to the bottom of the bag if it stays moist.

I keep my peat in the basement, and I try to keep it dry. Use your peat well and whatever you do, don't waste it. Harvesting peat is destructive to the ecosystems it comes from.

Just keep it dry and it should be ok.

Thanks everyone

Duct tape is your pal here. Fold it over and seal. If you don't nothing bad will happen but it will dry out and simply take a bit of massaging and kneading to get it to begin to absorb water again.

I have a big lidded tote for mine.

Hi all, what is the average price for premier peat 3cu ft?

In MN at Home Depot and Lowes it's $9.97 + tax for a 3 cu ft bale. Different brands at each place but both are the same thing, organic sphagnum peat moss.

Last edited:
In MN at Home Depot and Lowes it's $9.97 + tax for a 3 cu ft bale. Different brands at each place but both are the same thing, organic sphagnum peat moss.

Yup same here in NC

Hmm.. I see. Thank you.

Back