What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow lights

So I'm using 32w CFL's for a few cephalotus and sundews one lamp is 6500k daylight bulb and is 2700k good for my grow? That way I have both warm/cool lighting for coloration and growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your goal is to make reddish plants, bluer light could be possibly better. I haven't found Drosera specific literature, but generally anthocyanin production is promoted by blue (and UV) light in many plants. It's their stress response to protect from light damage.

With regard to photosynthesis, I haven't seen much difference between them (i.e. photosynthetic photon flux density, PPFD, seems to be pretty similar between different K from my measurements).

In general, the difference in K of fluorescent bulbs is coming from different hight of the major peaks. There are some bulb, which emit quite a different spectra, but most of them have the same peaks (3 or so), just the relative hight is modified.

Last edited:
If your goal is to make reddish plants, bluer light could be possibly better. I haven't found Drosera specific literature, but generally anthocyanin production is promoted by blue (and UV) light in many plants. It's their stress response to protect from light damage.

With regard to photosynthesis, I haven't seen much difference between them (i.e. photosynthetic photon flux density, PPFD, seems to be pretty similar between different K from my measurements).

In general, the difference in K of fluorescent bulbs is coming from different hight of the major peaks. There are some bulb, which emit quite a different spectra, but most of them have the same peaks (3 or so), just the relative hight is modified.

Okay I see what your saying to an extent. So by what your saying it wouldn't matter much from having two 6500k lights compared to having both a 6500k and 2700k light on your grow.

Okay I see what your saying to an extent. So by what your saying it wouldn't matter much from having two 6500k lights compared to having both a 6500k and 2700k light on your grow.

Yes, it has a relatively small effect in terms of "growth". Some people would say that there are some difference in terms of lumen output (this quantity is for human perception), but in terms of plant relevant light (PAR), the difference generally seems to become smaller in in the case of fluorescent light. The speculative part is that the plants may look different (e.g. more red vs more green) because certain types of frequency can cause certain physiological response. This effect (photomorphogenesis) is somewhat species specific, and I'm not sure if there is enough research with CPs. BTW, I'm not saying that all fluorescent bulbs are same. Indeed there are some efficient ones for plants and others which aren't. I'm not sure if these more efficient ones are in the form of CFL, though.

Last edited:
Yes, it has a relatively small effect in terms of "growth". Some people would say that there are some difference in terms of lumen output (this quantity is for human perception), but in terms of plant relevant light (PAR), the difference generally seems to become smaller in in the case of fluorescent light. The speculative part is that the plants may look different (e.g. more red vs more green) because certain types of frequency can cause certain physiological response. This effect (photomorphogenesis) is somewhat species specific, and I'm not sure if there is enough research with CPs. BTW, I'm not saying that all fluorescent bulbs are same. Indeed there are some efficient ones for plants and others which aren't. I'm not sure if these more efficient ones are in the form of CFL, though.

I'm using hydrofarm cfl with 1900 lumens for a few plants and mostly used to grow marijuana in hydroponics.

Back