What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmo nepenthes

Hey all,

Has anyone tried making a GMO nepenthes? I know people lately have made plants that glow in the dark and it would be dank to have a nepenthes that does the same. Has anyone succeeded in doing it/gotten cool plants out of it?

I think someone could do that but I don't think that it has happened just yet

I hope it never happens.
And that is the last post I'll put on this thread.

Ok, I gotta ask, what in the world is dank?

I hope it never happens.
And that is the last post I'll put on this thread.

Same, I feel like the most fascinating aspect of Nepenthes are the different traits of each species. They don't need genetic modification. Anyways, there are always hybrids, which I'm not much of a fan of either (unless they are truly exceptional).

No biotech company is going to waste valuable money and time funneling resources and research into making recombinant GFP versions of something with a market as small as Nepenthes.

If glowing in the dark is what you want, don't look for genetic modification. Grab a black light instead, you'll see most of them glow.

Ok, I gotta ask, what in the world is dank?
It's stoner slang for "cool" basically.

To the OP, it's not really something you can do at home. SerMuncherIV is right that it is likely not financially viable for a company to genetically modify a CP. I'm not sure if I'd like to own one, but I would be curious to see what some plants look like with non-naturally occurring colors.

Thank you, nimbulan.

While that would be pretty dank, if this was a thing, id like to see them do other things like make N. bicalcarata fangs HUGE.

While that would be pretty dank, if this was a thing, id like to see them do other things like make N. bicalcarata fangs HUGE.
While that would be awesome, that's not how genetic modification works. In order to do that someone has to either discover the gene sequence to cause that particular trait or find another species with that trait and put the gene from that species into an N. Bicalcarata. The odds are 1:1,000,000 of the first one happening and I don't think their are any other plants with that fanged trait. For example, glofish get their genes from coral and a few other species. It would be easier to selectively breed for the the long fanged trait in my opinion.

I honestly do not understand this overobsession with genetically modified garbage.
These plants are perfectly adapted and genetically varied / colored, and have been for hundreds of years.
We have purples, blacks, whites, ones with fangs, ones with teeth, and absolute goliaths.
What is it that you could possibly be wanting to modify further from natural perfection?

I honestly do not understand this overobsession with genetically modified garbage.
These plants are perfectly adapted and genetically varied / colored, and have been for hundreds of years.
We have purples, blacks, whites, ones with fangs, ones with teeth, and absolute goliaths.
What is it that you could possibly be wanting to modify further from natural perfection?

12313590_10153724717973070_5697806596577761476_n.jpg

Well, what about it? Ive seen a few just like this on ebay.
Many times infact.

Technically gmo is just a "modern" way to combine different genetic traits, so in this case I would say why bother creating new hybrids, or selecting the best seedlings?

I'm not sure bigger fangs would make sense but what about an easy and fast growing edwardsiana, or a low humidity/warm temp tolerant lowland?
CRISPR/Cas9 is already working on plants so it's almost trivial to do any kind of gmo nowadays, but hopefully it will not mean luminescent nepenthes (except on April 1st).

We can imagine many ethically wrong and/or mostly useless things possible to do. But also some useful ones to reintroduce some species by allowing them to be a little more tolerant in their growth condition. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think we should do it, protecting the current ecosystems they growth in is a better option.

( [MENTION=7686]jurow[/MENTION] very nice plant, is it one of these variegated alata?)

Technically gmo is just a "modern" way to combine different genetic traits, so in this case I would say why bother creating new hybrids, or selecting the best seedlings?

We can imagine many ethically wrong and/or mostly useless things possible to do. But also some useful ones to reintroduce some species by allowing them to be a little more tolerant in their growth condition. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think we should do it, protecting the current ecosystems they growth in is a better option.

If by modern, you mean artificial, then yes.

and Honestly, I dont think the plants care about becoming artificially "more tolerant". They have been perfectly tolerant
for the hundreds of years in their environments before humans came along and changed them. Its just people getting bored and editing genes because they can,
or just because theyre bored. (or both.) People are only GMOing so we can sell it. or do something for people.

To me, it just feels like another marketing ploy and people just wanting to edit things in order to say "I made this all on my own, humans rule, (blah blah)"
or something along those lines. Just like the luminescent tobacco plant that came out a few years back. Sure, there is legitimate scientific research and purpose behind it,
but its just another thing humans want to dip their hands into and ruin. IT seems like owning the world and everything after that just wasnt enough.

Last edited:
Back