What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window 10 Woes

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Recently, I upgraded from 7 to 10. When I did that, I could no longer upload pictures from my Kodak Easyshare C713 camera to the computer. It was as if 10 had no drivers for it. I followed through with 'Cortana' and got nowhere. I've followed tutorials from the internet and and I'll partway through the process, but nothing would get uploaded. Anybody experiencing this or no how to fix the issue?

How were you uploading the images to Windows 7?

Are you connecting the camera to your laptop or PC with a USB cable? Or taking the memory card out of the camera and putting it in a card reader attached to your computer?

Did you install a program or using a specific program to import the images from the camera?

getting similar going form XP to win 7. Ended up getting card reader to download images directly...

Windows 10 is complete and utter garbage. When I upgraded
Many of the programs or documents I had became incompatable with
W10, so windows decides to nuke them from the motherboard.

On top of that, drivers, programs and a muktitude of other things no longer work correctly.

Upgraded a friends PC to windows 10 from 7, basically nothing worked anymore and the pc ran extremely slowly.

Thankfully I had a spare copy of w7 and we were able to revert it.

Windows 10 sucks for old machines!

Recently, I upgraded from 7 to 10. When I did that, I could no longer upload pictures from my Kodak Easyshare C713 camera to the computer. It was as if 10 had no drivers for it. I followed through with 'Cortana' and got nowhere. I've followed tutorials from the internet and and I'll partway through the process, but nothing would get uploaded. Anybody experiencing this or no how to fix the issue?

Have you checked the Nikon website to see if there are any software updates for the camera itself?

You can also check for a new installation of the photo-downloading program, if any, that came with the camera. It may be out of date / incompatible.

Otherwise...just try going with a card reader and manually transferring the pictures.

Wasn't there once a time when updating software didn't make your computer impossible to work with?

Any camera driver that works on Windows 7 should work on Windows 10 as well. Did you try reinstalling the camera drivers/software?

Contrary to the experience of others here I've had a very smooth transition from 7 to 10. I did also have an issue with my camera (my computer would show no pictures on it,) but Microsoft fixed that problem after about a month.

I have a multiple boot setup on my 7 year old PC - XP, Win7 and Win10 x64. If a program XP I have doesn't run under Win7 it doesn't work under Win10. And naturally my 16bit DOS and Windows 98 programs won't run on Win10 x64. You can run a 32bit virtual machine to run those. Some programs need to run as an Administrator under Win10 but that's it - no major software or hardware compatibility other than lack of Hyper V support.

I don't have any drivers or software for the camera. I just hook it up between the camera and pc. There would be a camera icon and the option to upload. Now the icon doesn't appear and a message tells me that there is a problem. Yes, I know there is a problem. Nikon? Does that work for Kodak? I tried uploading to a Windws 7 pc at the the local library. I had to navigate my way through it, but it worked. What drivers would I need and where do I get them? Online tutorials haven't worked and one has me clicking on a camera icon that doesn't show up.

Does the camera show as an external drive?

Check the settings menu on the camera. There is probably a setting for Transfer method or something similar. Try the various settings but "PC" should work.

The camera should appear as a removable drive and you should be able to simply drag and drop the images off the card to the PC.

By external drive, he means that it'll show up in "This PC" (My Computer in Windows 7) next to your hard drive and DVD drive. I always get a desktop notification popup when I plug in a storage device as well.

This may be of use:
Complete Guide to Importing Your Photos in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Plugging in the Camera to a USB cable or putting the memory card in a reader should show up in the file explorer or on This PC as a removeable device/drive, typically drive E:. Some multiple card readers may show multiple drives depending on the type of card, e.g. E:,F: and G: and you have to look at the drives to see which is your card. See the section in the above link "Import Photos and Videos manually using File Explorer".

Last edited:
This may be of use:
Complete Guide to Importing Your Photos in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Plugging in the Camera to a USB cable or putting the memory card in a reader should show up in the file explorer or on This PC as a removeable device/drive, typically drive E:. Some multiple card readers may show multiple drives depending on the type of card, e.g. E:,F: and G: and you have to look at the drives to see which is your card. See the section in the above link "Import Photos and Videos manually using File Explorer".

Thanks! I'll look into that!

I followed through with the tutorial. I got to Importing Pictures and Videos but then there was an error message, stating that access was denied. So I tried the options to skip file and skip files with errors, but that didn't allow me to progress. I tried being creative by clicking other things, like removable something and DCIM. Incredibly, that was the path needed to get these pictures uploaded. I have no idea what I did, but it worked.

Glad to hear you figured it out. DCIM is the standard folder where digital cameras store pictures on memory cards.

Would it be too annoying to say that I have no problems at all with W10 and installing it cured several problems with W7. :-D

Back