What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids on my vft.

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
Afternoon, terraforums. It appears that my vft's have aphids. How the heck do I kill these things? I've heard about mixes involving canola oil. Are there any insecticides or mitacides that are safe for CP's that would work? Thanks.

You can use a systemic such as Bayer 3-in-1 insect control or Rose and Flower safely on your VFTs. Neem oil works also, but only kills aphids present at the time you spray.

Is the Bayer 3-in-1 safe for seedling sized vft's, one of my vft's divided like crazy and I have about 4 little, seedling sized vft's. Thanks.

You can try removing the aphids with a water spray (water bottle). Just blast the pests away from any plants. Or try immersing the plants (pot and all) in water for a couple days. This will not harm the plants.

You can try removing the aphids with a water spray (water bottle). Just blast the pests away from any plants. Or try immersing the plants (pot and all) in water for a couple days. This will not harm the plants.
Would this also be safe with my S. Purpura? He's right next to my vft's could have aphids too.

S. purpurea ( note the spelling) can be grown as a floating aquatic so there's no problem doing the same to that.

S. purpurea ( note the spelling) can be grown as a floating aquatic so there's no problem doing the same to that.
Excellent, sorry about the spelling. Is it safe to use a metal container for this or would it poison the water? Thanks.

Update: I'm soaking one of the fly traps presently and I tried to soak two of my seedling sized divisions, but the soil contains perlite and it floated to the top. Is it possible to soak them bare root? I only repoted them yesterday.

Update: I'm soaking one of the fly traps presently and I tried to soak two of my seedling sized divisions, but the soil contains perlite and it floated to the top. Is it possible to soak them bare root? I only repoted them yesterday.

You should be able to soak them bareroot, if you are careful not to damage the rhizome or roots while doing so. As for the metal container, idk if a short soak would harm the plant, but if you can use plastic or glass, you're probably better off doing so.

Good, I'll start soaking the rest of them tomorrow. About how long should i soak them? Thanks.

You can use a systemic such as Bayer 3-in-1 insect control or Rose and Flower safely on your VFTs. Neem oil works also, but only kills aphids present at the time you spray.

I actually just learned today that the primary component of neem works as a systemic. It certainly works on aphids either way.

Good, I'll start soaking the rest of them tomorrow. About how long should i soak them? Thanks.

It's helps if you read the replies you've already had Curtis

I would immerse them in water for a couple days and buy neem oil extract to make a spray solution. Water will take care of what is on them, now, but neem applications will deal with the unhatched eggs / future generations. It basically kills their appetite and they also forget how to reproduce (so I have read).

Being winter - spring the aphids are probably in the egg reproductive phase vs parthenogenesis. Our entomologist [MENTION=7483]kulamauiman[/MENTION] could tell you more about the life cycle of aphids.

Being winter - spring the aphids are probably in the egg reproductive phase vs parthenogenesis. Our entomologist [MENTION=7483]kulamauiman[/MENTION] could tell you more about the life cycle of aphids.
Actually, when the infestation started it was warm enough for the fly traps to start growing, just today it started getting cold again. I took the vft's out of the water last night. I'm hoping that the cold helps get rid of some of the aphids. I'm gonna order that Bayer stuff to kill of any more aphids.

Hey, I know this thread is kind of old at this point, but I wanted to make sure that I was getting the right Bayer 3 in 1.

This is it, right? Amazon.com : Bayer Advanced 701290 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control Ready-To-Use, 24-Ounce : Insect Repellents : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks.

I use this and can confirm that it is effective. One thing to note. I used this liberally on my VFTs last year and for a short while new growth was deformed. Use conservatively IMO. They did bounce back, but after spraying, I did notice growth deformities. I used it on my sarracenia with no problems other than some visual scarring of the leaf tissue.

Got it, thanks.

Back