What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollen everywhere!

If you live in south, you probably know that now it's the time that we have pollen everywhere. Didn't think this would be a problem, until this morning when I walked out and checked my CPs and succulents. They were all covered with quite a lot pollens! Should I move them inside? ?

I highly doubt that pollen would hurt CP's or succulents. Your plants should be fine.

But sundew lost all its "drops" to these pollens.....

I didn't think of that. You should probably bring in the sundews. Where are you? My plants don't get covered in pollen during spring here in Ohio.

Wont the pollen be a food source for the sundews? I think they digest it when they eat insect pollinators . . .

Last edited:
I live in eastern AL, my black Camry is actually yellow now....

Wont the pollen be a food source for the sundews? I think they digest it when they eat insect pollinators . . .

I wouldn't be too surprised if it does. Sundews have been known to enjoy pieces of cheese! So I wouldn't put pollen beyond them. I haven't started to grow sundews myself yet, but I will soon and I've been reading up on them. Do the sundews seem to be responding to the pollen? If they're leaves are curling up, then they're digesting the pollen.

I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry about your Camry.

actually there's no response at all, they just looked pretty side, looks like the whole leaf was blocked by pollen.

What kind of sundews are they?

Well, I doubt that it would hurt to bring it inside for a week or so, until the pollen levels go down. How long has the sundew been coated in pollen? Does it seem to be hurting the sundew?

It's probably just three to five days, didn't know if there's any long term effect, the most obvious thing to notice so far is that it had no drops on its leaves at all.

I am not looking forward to my car turning yellow... much less my CPs.

Last edited:
It is just starting, a slight dusting. Next week or two, it will be bonkers. Then a week or two tassels galore! Oh joy!

How is this not a problem in Ohio? It seems to be quit the problem in AL and TX.

I believe some species of butterworts are adapted to obtain most of their nutrients from tree pollen. I couldn't say if sundews could digest it properly, but I really doubt it will hurt anything.

I believe some species of butterworts are adapted to obtain most of their nutrients from tree pollen. I couldn't say if sundews could digest it properly, but I really doubt it will hurt anything.
I wouldn't have guessed that pollen had enough nutritional value for a plant to evolve to capture it, specifically. A herbivorous plant, almost. Learn something new every day.

Last edited:
Well capensis grows pretty fast so I wouldn't bother moving it. Before you know it, your capensis will have replaced most of the coated leaves.

Back