What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we just gearheads in disguise?

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
"The problem with gearheads is they are always looking for something just a bit better even if it doesn't result in any significant improvements in results. The striving for that ultimate bit of gear becomes as or even more important than the art of photography. Because of that they are more aware of which products perform the best in any given area."

Stole this from a photo-gear forum and realized how this can apply to growers as well.
Just substitute growers for gearhead, growing for photography and fertilizer/media/lights for gear.

It's really the same with any hobby. I've gotten a glimpse into the worlds of knife and flashlight hobbyists through a friend and it's so very strange to view from the outside.

I'm not a "gearhead". I'm cool with my fluorescent light tubes and have no interest in upgrading to LEDs. I feed bugs to my plants, and I have no interest in fertilizers. Everything works, my plants are happy, healthy, growing and reproducing. I don't want to spend the time, money and effort to change what is already working. The plants are happy, I'm happy, all is good. :D

Are we just gearheads in disguise

I feed bugs to my plants.............. The plants are happy, I'm happy, all is good. :D

Have you asked the bugs how they feel about it?

Last edited:
I'm not a "gearhead". I'm cool with my fluorescent light tubes and have no interest in upgrading to LEDs. I feed bugs to my plants, and I have no interest in fertilizers. Everything works, my plants are happy, healthy, growing and reproducing. I don't want to spend the time, money and effort to change what is already working. The plants are happy, I'm happy, all is good. :D

Agreed for CO's. But I have noted many folks here grow other genera as well including orchids, which cannot digest insects unless we mash them up in an extract, fertilizer.

I think a lot of the folks on here are definitely "DIY-heads". You always hear and see projects popping up in the forum where someone is either building or creating something themselves.

Have you asked the bugs how they feel about it?
Most are already dead, so I haven't had the chance. I often feed canned insects and dried flies, one can find them sold as reptile food.

Agreed for CO's. But I have noted many folks here grow other genera as well including orchids, which cannot digest insects unless we mash them up in an extract, fertilizer.
What does CO stand for?
In my reply, I was referring to carnivores, of course fertilizers could be used for different genera. However, I prefer to use old aquarium water to fertilize my other plants (non carnivore). However, not everyone has an aquarium on hand.

Last edited:
CO was a typo..thanks for catching it. I meant CP's, as in carnivores.

All of those factors would depend upon the individual grower. I now personally opt for simplicity and grow only what is most likely to be successful in my environment -- temperate and highland plants -- maybe, a few under lights. Years ago, I cobbled together a lowland Nepenthes tank with automatic misters and a reptile heater. Two successive power outages and a surge while I was away, trashed the heater and timer and killed everything within the tank.

Custodiunt illud simplex . . .

I think I fit somewhere within that description when it comes to my plants. I'm also a fly fisherman and fly tier and that mentality runs rampant through out the Fly Fishing and Fly Tying community, Whether it be people wanting the latest gear and the newest best performing fly pattern. Or (and this is where I fit in) they strive to use and collect classical style and high end vintage gear and fly patterns.

Back