What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED or T5 fluorescents strong enough for tall Sarracenia species?

I know people use mylar, and there is also (very expensive) purpose-made reflective material for growlights.

I used mylar for my terrarium way back when. Nice clean look to the tank overall.

Thanks guys, I ordered some Mylar today with mylar tape from amazon. I'll take the cover off of the mini greenhouse and completely fill the inside of it with a layer of mylar. I hope it works

I've used the marshydro version of that LED and it colored up all my plants withing a few days. As mentioned above, I am surprised that your plants are exhibiting symptoms of light deprivation. You mentioned that you recently moved the plants closer to the lights so I would install some reflective material and see what happens. If they continue to look green I would just move your plants in the sunlight. I grow a few sarrs on my windowsill that get between 3-6 hours of direct sun and 8 of indirect and they do fine.

How far away from the light were your plants?

So after about a month of trying to use the growlight/mini greenhouse I decided to abandon the setup and concluded it a failure. Even after I put mylar all around the inside the plants still looked very unhealthy. They are now growing outside on my patio getting about 4 to 4.5 hours of direct sunlight a day. Although it's not much, this is all I can give them for now. Sadly, I lost 5 plants by trying out the mini greenhouse setup. I lost them to root rot(possibly a viral infection) and botrytis.Even after installing a fan and applying physan20 periodically, it was not enough to stop the infections. I lost two vfts =red piranha and big mouth, drosera intermedia, judith hindle sarracenia, and a $40 sarracenia hurricane creek white. I feel pretty discouraged right now and am just glad the rest of my plants are doing fine now and showing good improvement in growth and color. It just sucks that I will have to replace all the plants I lost.

Last edited:
Back