What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found some interesting Sarracenia deformations today:

XnYk6OS.jpg

S. oreophila var. ornata, Sand Mountain. Strangely there is no noticable scarring from insect damage on this pitcher, so I'm wondering if it's not caused by insect damage.

11Z8yez.jpg

Looks like I have a double pitcher coming from S. "Appalachian Spring".

Last edited:
I decided to put my new 365nm UV flashlight to good use:

lYqPoWH.jpg

UV-reactive nectar on my poi dog Nepenthes, along with a bit of UV reactive dust.

That's pretty cool. I like the way the nectar has drooled down the side of the pitcher to the rear. 'Wouldn't be very visible without the UV light.

Update time!

rWYxDrD.jpg

dIw7DsN.jpg

Some new air plants I bought yesterday.

CIDKJrn.jpg

D. 'Marston Dragon' flower buds about to open.

B1jLFas.jpg

S. oreophila x flava var. rubricorpora I got from the NASC auction in 2014. I love the coppery color of this plant.

6Rj6XiW.jpg

An adventurous jumping spider on my S. rosea.

And last but not least...I had a Nepenthes seed germinate!

WRA0FfN.jpg

rmT8Hjc.jpg

okUTlou.jpg

N1fzgrS.jpg

N. sumatrana "giant form". Pictures taken approximately every 12 hours starting yesterday morning, except about 6 hours for the last one.

Last edited:
Congrats on the nepenthes seedling.

Congrats on the sprout. One of the things I like the most about the Spring Garden Fair is the vendors of Tillandsia (sounds like a fantasy novel title). Do you know what species the red one in the second photo is?

Some nice pics there. Love the lil jumper.

Congrats on the sprout. One of the things I like the most about the Spring Garden Fair is the vendors of Tillandsia (sounds like a fantasy novel title). Do you know what species the red one in the second photo is?

That is Tillandsia abdita. The thin fluffy one is T. argentea, and the smaller one is T. ionantha mexico. I was hoping for some T. tectorum, but he didn't bring any to the show since they're a more expensive species.

Hmm. The last tillie ID surprised me. Didn't recall ionantha having such broad leaves. Nice tillies in any event. Still have some I need to acquire myself.

I just found a similar deformed pitcher on one of my Jonseii as your ornata. I haven't seen it before, any idea what causes it?

I just found a similar deformed pitcher on one of my Jonseii as your ornata. I haven't seen it before, any idea what causes it?

The L-shaped pitcher? I'm really not sure. Pitcher deformations are usually accompanied by visible scarring due to insect damage, or resulting in much more severe and irregular deformations. Some pitchers just won't develop properly in the spring, but I've never seen anything like this before.

jOVdrgJ.jpg

Sarracenia oreophila x flava var. rubricorpora flower.

gS4K0ij.jpg

Sarracenia oreophila x flava var. rubricorpora pitchers opening.

gGVc6sN.jpg

Sarracenia alata flowers.

YCnPHjO.jpg

Sarracenia "Cateo" isn't quite sure which direction to grow the flower stalks.

jS58gdW.jpg

Sarracenia 'Cobra Nest' flower.

ewfjPU1.jpg

Sarracenia "Yellow Jacket" growing quickly.

Love seeing the flowers at this time of year... though I am highly suspicious of that "oreo x flava" flower as neither parent would contribute red to the color like that. rubra complex would though.

Nice work, nimbulan.

Love seeing the flowers at this time of year... though I am highly suspicious of that "oreo x flava" flower as neither parent would contribute red to the color like that. rubra complex would though.
You're probably right about that, though I obtained it from Johnny in the 2014 auction and I would expect him to have his plants labeled properly. Perhaps one of the parents had a small amount of rubra DNA?

kcugetn.jpg

My fused double-pitcher opened but unfortunately it didn't get any larger.

g9IhNO0.jpg

D. 'Marston Dragon' flowers

OnuBvCx.jpg

S. 'Tarnok' flowers

Those Tarnok flowers are absolutely beautiful!

qSU6Vxp.jpg

My new fuzzball, Tillandsia tectorum

RVwyPPd.jpg

The right-angle pitcher on my S. oreophila var. ornata, Sand Mountain, AL managed to finish developing.

2GQHrUI.jpg

S. 'Judith Hindle' is coloring up nicely.

JEajM00.jpg

S. oreophila x flava var. rubricorpora is looking very....large.

Q2Iquz5.jpg

Lots of flowers from S. "Appalachian Spring"

1hBD7l6.jpg

A late flower bud from S. rosea "Fat Chance"

r4T0TvJ.jpg

Baby's first pitcher, N. sumatrana "giant form"

Nice work, nimbulan. How difficult is your "fuzzball" to take care of?

Back