What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As far as I'm aware, that species is one of the most drought tolerant air plants so I'm sure it can handle a lot of neglect. They do grow extremely slowly though.

An update on my N. albomarginata cuttings at just over 3 months:

ql2BPj8.jpg

The first pitcher certainly has better color now.

1nQIZdt.jpg

It seems like there's pretty good root mass at 3 months, and the second pitcher is well on its way to maturity and may reach that point before the first new leaf even unfurls...

EuDO0Zm.jpg

A pitcher from my poi dog - possibly N. ventricosa x angasanensis.

10pqh6z.jpg

A very fuzzy tendril from the same plant.

I've never seen a silver gray nepenthes pitcher before. It's amazing! Thanks for the help with the fuzzball.

Nice albo! I've always liked the contrast between the white 'collar' and the blackish pitcher

I love the dark pitchers too, it's by far my favorite albo form.

vJVpXYw.jpg

The first new leaf developing on my U. humboldtii after 2 months.

17FVA8r.jpg

What the plant has done up until now...

W8iLaQ2.jpg

The newest pitcher on my N. ramispina, approximately twice as tall (about 3") as the previous one and with better color. I'm hoping it keeps improving as I understand N. ramispina pitchers can be nearly black.

If it's not a hybrid, ramispina upper pitchers are naturally more gray/green than black; it's only the lowers that are the really dark color

That would certainly explain the color as the cutting went straight to vining. I'll have to hope for some really dark pitchers in the future when it produces a basal.

Time for some more pictures!

112k6wj.jpg

U. pubescens

i0e0FOy.jpg

N. "Triffid" is positively drooling.

q3QlrV3.jpg

Flowers of an Allium of some sort.

QEhAnYr.jpg

Verbena flowers, playing around with close-up filters for macro. I'm not particularly impressed with the quality, at least for these cheaper filters. They cause a lot of chromatic aberration and have a very soft focus.

Things have been rather quiet on the plant front, so here's some critters instead:

QJRMO1x.jpg

A tiny snail in my U. pubescens pot.

ejiIqsF.jpg

Not sure what this is, but I've been finding quite a few of them on berries I've been picking.

2ilgXoN.jpg

...and here's a mole I found in my LIVING ROOM yesterday.

Good grief, how did a mole end up in your living room? :jester:

The best I can top that with is a baby garter snake in my kitchen.

what a crazy mole! was it just blindly scooting around your living room floor?

what a crazy mole! was it just blindly scooting around your living room floor?

Pretty much...I heard some scratching sounds and it was just running around, probably looking for a place to dig. I was surprised that even with me walking around it didn't react until it touched it. I figured the vibrations would have tipped him off.

Time for some more pictures I think:

geEmZBB.jpg

N. ventricosa x angasanensis showing off its "wax zone."

bnEf07j.jpg

N. sumatrana seedlings (4) at just over 2 months after germination.

HqiF7z0.jpg

My first Cephalotus that came in the mail yesterday. It's a pretty fresh division and doesn't really have any roots yet so I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

rIXyTaM.jpg

3Htuw1U.jpg

Some current pictures of my Helis. The H. minor has a bit of trouble with the moderate ambient humidity but the H. heterodoxa really doesn't seem to care.

Rv24Vya.jpg

A lacewing enjoying a carrot flower.

FnXeY8V.jpg

A female goldenrod crab spider.

Last edited:
Those sumatrana seedlings are very exciting. Keep us posted. I'd love to see where those end up in a year or two from now.

N. sumatrana is a great species, always ends up looking good once they mature.
Good luck with getting the Ceph to root; repotted mine a while back, and one plant crashed and is barely alive, the other just making flat leaves...

Another interesting (and fairly uncommon) Nep I added to my collection today:

RFR9sLk.jpg

Since imgur updated to a new site and broke their image editor, it looks like I'm switching to Flickr. Hopefully everything works smoothly.

Nepenthes spectabilis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes spectabilis, Sibutan that I acquired almost a month ago. I forgot to take a picture before now, it was solid green when I got it.

Tillandsia ionantha mexico by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Tillandsia ionantha mexico flowering

Ha! 'Love the crab spiders. Congrats on the nep. seedlings!

Thanks, Mark!

Drosera capillaris by Nimbulan, on Flickr
This little guy popped up as a hitchhiker in a utric plug and grew to this size (and is now flowering) in 2 and a half months. I didn't feed it either.

Tillandsia ionantha by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Tillandsia flowers grow quite quickly, apparently, and there's a second one on the way!

Back