What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fascinated by the color on that Tillandsia flower....I must not be pulled into growing another group of plants....!!

Also, that "capillaris" looks more like my D. natalensis than any capillaris I've ever seen.

The utric plug came from [MENTION=7151]RSS[/MENTION] and he seemed quite certain as to its identity.

And yes, air plants can have some very showy flowers. T. ionantha is the most commonly-grown species I believe and I just bought this plant 2 months ago. I suspect the nursery it came from fertilizes their plants better than I do as none of my other air plants have flowered this year.

The Drosera in question should be a 10-20th generation Drosera capillaris Boiling Springs Lake NC, the original mother plant is long gone but generations have lived on. If my memory is correct it came from Ozzy during one of the NASC auctions as an extra.

Are you sure your not confusing capillaris with capensis, now capensis looks completely different, but I'm no Drosera expert.

As I understand it, D. capillaris has a very high degree of variability in appearance compared to most species. Some look very like D. intermedia while others exhibit this rosetted form. I'll be sure to post a flower picture when one opens, assuming I can catch one when it's open. Most of my Drosera flowers try their best to avoid my notice.

I am 99% sure that is a natalensis as well. The way the flower is unfurling and the leaf structure is identical to my natalensis, and it does not resemble capillaris at all.

Capillaris:
RjrSkYX.jpg

Natalensis:
wg0EQqr.jpg

*Apologies for hijacking the thread!!*

I second the D. natalensis hypothesis. D. capillaris does show high amounts of variability I don't think that plant falls within it. Would it be possible for you to get a good look at the seeds under high magnification when they develop?

D. capillaris
24329561969_47bb49698a_z.jpg

D. natalensis (the tag in the picture is wrong)
IMAG1584_zpshxtdj9wm.jpg

D. natalensis seeds 100X:
IMG_1376_zpsiqfhqcl2.jpg

I will do my best though I don't have a camera adapter for my microscope. Shouldn't a picture of the flower be enough for a positive identification?

The plant in question is a hitchhiker so anything is possible. I only ever added the one Drosera to that tank and it was sealed off from the rest of my collection for years. I never bothered to take photos of the flowers or the seeds since they were nothing special and I no longer have the plant in my collection (downsizing).

The Drosera I had growing in there was always in bloom so you should not have to wait long for a flower.

Looks like my concerns on the mystery species have been covered by others, and I am quite certain I am not confusing capillaris with capensis, as I own both :)
A flower probably will be enough for ID; most natalensis I've seen have somewhat elongated petals, while capillaris tends to had rounded petals; both can range through various shades of white to light pink though.

As for the Utric: I'm not surprised the flower stalk budded vegetatively; most species I've grown readily put out new growth from any broken pieces of plant, and with how weedy calycifida can be just about anything buds rapidly in wet enough conditions. I'm curious though, how different is 'Asenath Waite' from the common purple forms? The flowers at least look nearly identical to mine, but mine are seed-grown. What color are the leaves?

I believe 'Asenath Waite' is fairly similar to the typical appearance of U. calycifida but has pretty heavy veining on the flowers. Looking at pictures I just discovered two of mine on CPPhotofinder (the last two listed.) Here is a good representative picture of the cultivar though, taken by someone else: dscn2410.jpg Photo by bamaud | Photobucket

Mine have the same palate mottling it would seem, but one major difference is the size of that yellow spot; much larger on the cultivar than the plants I grow.

That Roridula is in need of a pair of Pameridea roridulae,.

I think I'd need several plants to support a population of Pameridea roridulae, and it might be difficult keeping the plant in a place where it will catch bugs year-round in this climate. I would love it if I could though.

You can get dried bugs to re-hydrate in winter. One plant is enough for a pair

can you purchase Pameridea roridulae ? I never really had an interest in roridula because I figured I'd never be able to get any P. roridulae for it, but if thats possible, wow!

I'm not aware of any place that sells them, though I've read about at least one person obtaining them in the past. It can be a tricky proposition though since they'll chew on the plant if it isn't catching enough food for them.

'Nice to see that you have so many 'dew flowers. 'Tis the season.

That crab spider seems to be same species I often evict from oxeye daisies when I pull them. When they are inhabiting the rays of the flowers they are generally white, but still with the red stripes on their abdomen.

Back