What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You mean like this one I found on my Dionaea 'Akai Ryu'? They can apparently change color between yellow and white depending on what flowers are available, though the process can take several weeks.

Goldenrod crab spider by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Some lovely photos in this thread! Loads more on my want list now.

Sent from my VF695 using Tapatalk

That tuber looks just like a little tomato. Do you unpot all your tuberous sundews for dormancy?

This is my first year growing tuberous sundews. The D. zigzagia I bought this spring and it apparently didn't like the shipping process and went dormant extremely early. I unpotted it to try to get a feel for the moisture level of the soil based on the appearance of the pot and to make sure the plant didn't just die on me rather than going dormant. I have two other plants I bought at the same time which went dormant at a more normal time and I left them in their pots. The D. ramellosa I traded for and I believe it also went dormant quite early so it's not a surprise to see either of them growing right now.

Heliamphora minor flower bud by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Aldrovanda vesiculosa, Japan by Nimbulan, on Flickr
from [MENTION=8317]pearldiver[/MENTION] 's giveaway

Drosera "Lantau Island" by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Heliamphora minor by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Silhouette of flower buds inside the inflorescence.

Nepenthes sanguinea "orange" by Nimbulan, on Flickr
I always had the impression this species was rather boring, but it's growing some nice pitchers!

Nepenthes sanguinea "orange" by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Close-up of the unusual patchy peristome. I'm wondering if it might actually be staining from the nectar, as that appears to have a similar brownish color to it.

My sanguinea gets that too, not sure what it is either. Also, those are some nice photos of the tubers! I haven't unpotted the rest of my D. ramellosa tubers, so hopefully they haven't dried up. I sometimes give them a little watering, maybe about 1 fluid ounce or so, every 3 weeks. They seem to be a little harder to dry up than you'd expect though, those D. zigzagia tubers you gave me are pretty good being dry in the bag (with the little humidity that there is in there, though I'd expect soil to retain more humidity than what's in the bag).

This reminds me, that I need to find a bigger pot for my D. menziesii, which I also have not dug up. I'll see if I can get you a tuber or two, for September's meet. I don't expect them to start growing then, since they went dormant so late.

I went ahead and potted my tubers back up since they were growing early. Since it's been so hot, I've been using ice cubes to prevent the pots from heating up too much and ended up with the soil quite a bit more wet than I wanted to. Hopefully it's not too early for it to be wet like that, though I've been told you should start watering before you see new growth on the surface.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pots drying out though. When the surface dries out it heavily insulates the rest of the pot and it takes a very long time for the rest to dry out. I've been giving my dormant pots a quick squirt from a squeeze bottle every week or two. One of my pots had some U. bisquamata and it took TWO MONTHS without water before it finally (hopefully) died.

Close-up of the unusual patchy peristome. I'm wondering if it might actually be staining from the nectar, as that appears to have a similar brownish color to it.

I tried the red fluid that appears on sanguinea once. I'm pretty sure it's just necter. It tasted the same a nectar from the other nepenthes I tried.

Darlingtonia californica by Nimbulan, on Flickr
enjoying the summer heat. Me, not so much. The sensor is shaded by the unit and I know it got hotter today. My car was reading as high as 102F.

Last edited:
Cephalotus follicularis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

This little guy seems to be growing quite quickly despite being a fresh division with no roots at the beginning of July. I just transferred it into another pot today without disturbing the plant since it was butting up against the sides of the pot.

Drosera x hybrida "Butterfly Valley" by Nimbulan, on Flickr
D. x hybrida is known to go dormant in the middle of summer, but for some reason this pot decided to start growing again soon afterward.

Sarracenia flava var. ornata "Improved Black Veins" by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia "Yellow Jacket" by Nimbulan, on Flickr
I think this one needs a new pot next year.

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa, Tattnall Co, GA by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia 'Cobra Nest' by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belle' by Nimbulan, on Flickr
With many many D. intermedia weeds.

Sarracenia pool by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia "Daina's Delight" by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Still growing an incredibly dense cluster of slender pitchers.

Drosera zigzagia by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera ramellosa by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Cephalotus follicularis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera graomogolensis by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Leaf cuttings at close to 3 months.

Utricularia praelonga by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Finally getting some long form leaves on this one.

Nepenthes x hookeriana by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Growing normally after producing several very white leaves for some reason.

Heliamphora minor by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera regia by Nimbulan, on Flickr

You've already got tuberous Drosera awakening? Also, what kind of soil do you use for your Cephalotus? Not sure what happened but mine did not like me repotting them into a part sand mix....

Both of those tubers went dormant early (shipping stress?) so I suppose it makes sense that they woke up early too. That said, Johnny told me that quite a few of his plants woke up early this year as well and he's not sure why.

The cephalotus is in equal parts peat, perlite, and turface. I've actually only had it for 2 and a half months or so and it arrived as a fresh division with no roots. It's putting out a lot of new growth so it seems to be happy with the current arrangement. I'm keeping it with the tuberous sundews to try to provide a proper dormancy for it without letting it freeze like the outdoor plants will.

Roridula gorgonias by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Outdoor CP trays by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Outdoor CP trays by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Cranefly had a bad day by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Dionaea muscipula 'King Henry' by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Promising OP Sarracenia seedling by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia combo pot by Nimbulan, on Flickr
There's a Sarracenia rosea buried in there somewhere...

Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnok' by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sphagnum by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes sanguinea by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes talangensis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes attenboroughii by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Already showing some stripes!

Back