What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Love the lamellata flower, but I'm loving those eclipse shots even more. So glad we went up to see the total eclipse; even 99% is nothing by comparison. The smoke shots are interesting too; never got a shot but I certainly saw the red sun for several days here. The fact that you can see sunspots is incredible...

Yes the eclipse was quite an experience, and completely worth it taking 4 times as long as normal to drive home afterwards.

As for the smoke, I was absolutely floored how clearly visible the sunspots were through it all. I expected a blurry blob but got a really nice shot instead. I need to get my larger telescope set up with a solar filter or buy a barlow for this one so I can see even more detail.

It's funny, we were expecting terrible traffic up to where we went (Scottsbluff National Monument) and back, but managed to hit just about nothing at all; everywhere else was packed though :)

Spectacular picture thread - and thanks for sharing the eclipse shots. We only managed a quick pic similar to your horizon shot, but those close-ups are the image from my mind's-eye! Very cool!

Drosera hilaris by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera lanata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

What happens when you repot a dying adelae...
Drosera adelae by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Some pictures of flowers from my "heterosepala" which it definitely isn't
U. smithiana? by Nimbulan, on Flickr

U. smithiana? by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Pinguicula chilensis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Roridula dentata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes seedlings and Sphagnum by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Pinguicula cyclosecta by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera zigzagia by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Dionaea muscipula 'FTS Flaming Lips' by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Very nice, that D. hilaris is cute!

I agree, I really like the look of that D. Hilaris. Very tidy little plant.

Everyone I've shown that picture to has loved it. Of course the plant doesn't look like that normally - all the leaves are curled up due to me placing a drop of Maxsea on them.

A nice batch of photos! I am encouraged to try D. hilaris again being as your plant looks so nice.

Of course the plant doesn't look like that normally - all the leaves are curled up due to me placing a drop of Maxsea on them.

I wont tell anyone :-))

A nice batch of photos! I am encouraged to try D. hilaris again being as your plant looks so nice.

If I can convince more seeds to germinate, I'll set one aside for you.

If I remember correctly, a month or so in a plastic baggie on top of the warm part of a florescent fixture does wonders for the seed germination rate. This before actually planting the seeds.

I'm very happy with the growth of my D. murfetii this year. Pictures from the end of March until today:
Drosera murfetii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Not entirely sure what's going on here:

Nepenthes 'Black Miracle' hybrid by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes 'Black Miracle' hybrid by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Utricularia humboldtii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sphagnum haircut by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Pinguicula esseriana by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes dubia by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera arcturi by Nimbulan, on Flickr

A rare pinkish-flowered form of D. binata:
Drosera binata var. multifida, Evan's Head, AU by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera binata var. multifida, Evan's Head, AU by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Byblis lamellata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera tomentosa var. tomentosa by Nimbulan, on Flickr

This guy has 4 growth points!
Mutant Nepenthes seedling by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes veitchii, Candy Stripe, Bario by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Last edited:
A very nice collection! Congrats on the D. arcturi seedling. I think your D. murfetii clone looks better than the mother plant does right now.

Nice set of pictures, what species is your mutated nep seedling?

Wow that D. murfetii and arcturi!! So jelly. . .

Makes my heart hurt to think of my D. murfetii that didn't make it . . . :cry:

Wow that D. murfetii and arcturi!! So jelly. . .

Makes my heart hurt to think of my D. murfetii that didn't make it . . . :cry:

I'll have to try out leaf cuttings next year. This plant certainly needs to be spread around. The D. arcturi I should have multiple individuals and be able to produce seeds if I can raise them to maturity. I might even try hybridizing the two species if I have the opportunity - I understand plants that appear to be intermediate between the two species have been found in the wild.

I'll have to try out leaf cuttings next year. This plant certainly needs to be spread around. The D. arcturi I should have multiple individuals and be able to produce seeds if I can raise them to maturity. I might even try hybridizing the two species if I have the opportunity - I understand plants that appear to be intermediate between the two species have been found in the wild.

Well I definitely look forward to your potential success with these two species. Perhaps the coolest temperate sundews in my opinion.

I'll have to try out leaf cuttings next year. This plant certainly needs to be spread around.

D. murfetii propagates readily from leaf cuttings, both Bluemax and I have done it successfully in the past. I agree, this is a lovely plant that needs to be spread around.

Last edited:
Pinguicula gypsicola by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes bongso by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes palawanensis and lowii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes talangensis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes vogelii and macfarlanei x sanguinea by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes vogelii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Byblis lamellata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Utricularia sandersonii, blue by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Plectranthus verticillatus (Swedish ivy) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Plectranthus verticillatus (Swedish ivy) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera gigantea by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera gigantea by Nimbulan, on Flickr

These plants got pummeled by the wind when I took the pot in to show off at last weekend's meetup. I'll have to remember that in the future.

Drosera hookeri by Nimbulan, on Flickr

I don't know what's up with this plant. It's just refusing to produce dew or grow leaves nearly as long as it did last year.
Drosera cistiflora, purple flower by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Utricularia praelonga by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Byblis gigantea by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Emerging from dormancy? Maybe? This plant does whatever it wants.
Pinguicula calderoniae by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes platychila by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes platychila by Nimbulan, on Flickr

And this one stubbornly entering dormancy...hopefully I can bring it through to the other side.
Drosera lanata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

A wonderful gift from another local grower.
Pinguicula ornament by Nimbulan, on Flickr

My high light, low humidity schizandra.
Drosera schizandra by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera capensis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Back