What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I decided to finally start a photo thread, now that I know how to post photos. I don't know how many updates this will be getting, but as of right now, enjoy.

Here's what I won at the NASC auction.

S. [(purpurea x rubra) x self] x judith hindle

S. leucophylla "tarnok"

A typical VFT, could be a Colorado giant, but the label went missing.

D. filiformis x tracyi

N. ventricosa x maxima rooted cutting.

Here are some of my other CP's

N. ventrata

Not too sure what this one is, it was marked ventricosa, but it looks more ventrata like.

Dionea "dente"

Dionea "coquillage"

Some very nice typicals that were at aldi for $5 a pop. Amazing what you can find there.

Now for a few non-CP's

My saguaro cactus, currently the pride of my cactus collection.

My juniper bonsai, I'm attempting windswept style.

My japanese maple.

Well, That's all for now.

Last edited:
Those CPs seemed to have traveled well, nice. Very nice collection that I am sure will expand quickly, love the nepenthes and cactus. Those VFT with the nice red interiors are really nice!

Very nice. I am reminded of my early collecting years--plants growing on top of tables and every improvised surface. Hah! It finally got to my wife and she caved in for a greenhouse.

I have no doubt all those plants will be happy to have wound up at your place!

Last edited:
I don't even know why I put plants on tables and any other conceivable surface. Though I suppose that my dogs would knock them over and the ground hog that inhabits my backyard would eat them if they weren't raised. So it's not pointless.

Here are some more of my plants, not all CP, but not bad.

One of the sarracenia got knocked over in a thunder storm. I straightened him out.

Some dente divisions.

My yellow barrel cactus.

My funky looking old man of the mountain cactus.

And about six ponytail palm seedlings that were at a nursery for $2 or something.

Not much, but I thought I'd put it up.

Here's an update on a few of the plants.

Coquillage

My D. Capenis "giant" are looking better.

A trap that caught something.

A pitcher opened on the S. leucyphylla "tarnok"

The D. filiformis x tracyi are growing like mad. I might have to re-pot later this season.:0o:

A close up of a weed sundew that came with the filiformis cross. An ID would be much appreciated.

My mystery nepenthes is pitchering like crazy.

And my N. ventrata that has turned red enough to make Dracula proud.

Pics not showing up :(

Last edited:
Your mystery weedy dew looks like rotundifolia.

Last edited:
Pics not showing up :(
I just logged out and back in to make sure. The pics are showing up fine for me.
[MENTION=9012]hcarlton[/MENTION], thanks for the ID.

It's not easy to tell, but it looks more like D. capillaris to me. Can you separate them?

Not really. They were re-potted just a few weeks ago and I don't want to disturb their roots. I will probably re-pot just before dormancy sets in to get the mystery dew (I'm assuming that the little guy's tropical) and put it in its own pot.

Here are some photos from last year of a vft with false viviparism. For those of you who don't know what that means, well, I won't spoil the suprise.

You're not seeing things, those are traps on that flower stalk. Sadly, I lost the plant before dormancy.

Here are some photos from last year of a vft with false viviparism. For those of you who don't know what that means, well, I won't spoil the suprise.

You're not seeing things, those are traps on that flower stalk. Sadly, I lost the plant before dormancy.
Very cool! The traps on the flower stalk got really big on this one,

How big are the traps usually when that happens? It's the only case of it that I've experienced.

False vivipary/vegetative apomixis and its appearances depend on the plant, the conditions, and just how long the traps are able to form; how big the traps get is therefore variable. Looking at the pictures though that plant seems rather etiolated, so I think we can narrow down one reason it may have died off....

Actually it died when I accidentally let the soil get dry. :headwall: A mistake that I will never make again.

Nice plants!
About the bonsai. If you really want to make a good looking bonsai, you should put it in the ground and let it become thicker. Otherwise it will not be looking like a tree in the wild, and that is what you want to achieve. I wouldn't go for fukinagashi (windswept) cause it is really difficult to let it make natural. The shape and nebari would be suitable for semi cascade but first it really have to become thicker.

I would really like a thicker trunk, but putting it in the ground would put it at risk of being chopped in half by the evil ground hog that inhabits my backyard. As for changing the style, I've been working on this tree for a year now and changing the trunk that much would only result in a broken tree. Thanks for the help though.

Back