What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Akai Ryu 20th anniversary coming soon

Shadowtski

Supporter
Akai Ryu was introduced to the world in June of 1996. It was published in the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. I think that was the first registered cultivar for Dionaea. I fell in love with it instantly and bought one as soon as it was commercially available. It didn't survive long for me but it was my fault.

It seems hard to believe but that was 20 years ago. Its anniversary is next month. Anyone else notice that? I am going to throw an extra bug into the gaping maw of my current Akai Ryu to commemorate the occasion.

What are you going to do for yours?

Akai Ryu was introduced to the world in June of 1996. It was published in the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. I think that was the first registered cultivar for Dionaea. I fell in love with it instantly and bought one as soon as it was commercially available. It didn't survive long for me but it was my fault.

It seems hard to believe but that was 20 years ago. Its anniversary is next month. Anyone else notice that? I am going to throw an extra bug into the gaping maw of my current Akai Ryu to commemorate the occasion.

What are you going to do for yours?
That's awesome! Akai Ryu is a great and classic clone, and the name is one of my favorites.

Akai ryu 20 years old?

:boogie:WHOOP-DEE-DOO:banana2:

Happy birthday, Akai ryu, if only I had one to celebrate with.

I'm gonna have to get one in June, I guess.

Last edited:
I was wrong on one point. "Royal Red was registered before "Akai Ryu". But I'm still going to celebrate its 20th.

It's still a classic and great cultivar and it's birthday should be celebrated. I'll have to see if I can get one before the day. When is it, exactly?

I found the published month and year , June, 1996, Volume 2 of that year's CPN. I couldn't find any specific date of the published announcement. I don't recall seeing any prior announcement.

Here are the links that I found:

Cultivar Detail

International Carnivorous Plant Society

Anybody else?

Get your party planning selves in gear. If you don't have an "Akai Ryu", get one so you can throw it a party.

Good growing,
Mike T.

I have just received mine, but now its too late to celebrate with it. :thumbdown:

Oh wow...I completely missed this thread. (and their birthday) @_@

Well...one of mine got a belated gift of a hand-fed beetle today.

Back