What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UV Fluorescence in CPs

I thought I'd start a thread for pictures and discussion of UV fluorescence in CPs. I get the impression that it's not a very well-known phenomenon, and I'd like to change that!

I'll start with a fantastic picture of N. "Triffid" I took last night:

9FZRFyX.jpg

And one of my random hybrid from April (possibly identified as N. ventricosa x angasanensis.) The pitchers are old and dying back, but they had lots of super thick nectar on them to fluoresce.

lYqPoWH.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap--that's awesome! Do a Drosera!! I have always been curious about those!! I've seen plenty of UV Nep photos, but yours make it blatantly obvious that these plants are advertising with multiple wavelengths.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessarily multiple wavelengths being emitted - rather it's the blue color of the fluorescence blending with the red peristome, and also being visibly concentrated in certain areas due to light refraction. I'll have to examine some other plants with my UV flashlight to see what else I can find - I know at the very least that Sarracenia purpurea exhibits some level of UV fluorescence.

I posted links to photos of UV fluorescence in Sphagnum moss. Check out the UV Photography forum for all kinds of good stuff.

To get any meaningful information the receptive device (camera) needs to be U/V sensitive as with insects' ocular vision. Otherwise it's like shining a U/V torch on vaseline glass. The plants are not advertising to human eyes, we just kidnap them and keep them hostage.

To get any meaningful information the receptive device (camera) needs to be U/V sensitive as with insects' ocular vision. Otherwise it's like shining a U/V torch on vaseline glass. The plants are not advertising to human eyes, we just kidnap them and keep them hostage.
Just because the plants aren't advertising to us doesn't mean we can't appreciate what they do show us. In any case cameras are UV-sensitive, at least partially. I'm actually curious now how different the picture would look if I took it again through a UV filter. Now you've got me looking at lenses designed to filter all non-UV light out...

Last edited:
Yaaaay! I made you think. Mission accomplished

Time for a picture dump since I brought my UV flashlight out again last night.

Cephalotus follicularis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia rosea (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa, Tattnall Co, GA (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Very weak fluorescence here. I may need to try this picture again with a visible light filter.

Nepenthes 'Miranda' (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes x hookeriana (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Interestingly, the upper part of the pitcher is slightly darker under UV when it's the same color under normal lighting.

Nepenthes adnata (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes singalana pot (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr
It seems like just about everything that grows in CP pots glows!

Nepenthes "Triffid" (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes heterodoxa (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Heliamphora pitcher hairs glow brightly when the pitcher first opens, but fade quickly for some reason.

Drosera "Marston Dragon" pot (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosophyllum lusitanicum seeds (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Apparently Drosophyllum seeds glow. I guess I know how to find them in the dark now.

Nepenthes attenboroughii (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr
Unlike other species I grow, the leaves seem to be reacting to the UV rather than just the pitchers.

The ceph looks really cool...and interesting, how it seems like the liquid in the rosea is what's glowing there....I need to get a UV.

Yes it seems that the purpurea-type Sarracenia pitchers release UV-reactive chemicals into the water that collects in the pitchers. I have not detected any UV reaction in upright Sarracenia yet, though I may try again tonight with my visible light filter since that helps make weak fluorescence far more visible.

Also I just realized I missed my Ping pic when I was uploading.

Pinguicula esseriana (UV illuminated) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Awesome pics! Keep 'em coming! The droso seeds are very interesting. I wonder what purpose that serves.

Back