What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blood meal for feeding CP's?

Can you feed CP's blood meal in their traps, not as a fertilizer? You can feed some sundew many different insects, milk and blood worms and betta fish pellets. If you can feed them rehydrated blood meal, it would be an incredibly cheap food.

I'm not sure exactly what it is in their food that they need, I'll have to rewatch the video on carnivorous plants which mentioned a study done where they did many tests and fed them milk.

If you can't, knowing more about what they need, could help find the cheapest good source you can buy in bulk.

For now, I bought frozen blood worms, 4oz for $6 or so USD.

I'd think it would kill the pitcher, unless massively diluted and dissolved in water first. Blood meal is N = 13.25%, P = 1.0%, K = 0.6%. Even then it would supply lots of nitrogen, as you can see, but not much else.

Undiluted or dissolved it would be akin to dropping a fast release fertilizer pellet into the pitcher.

Well I have Venus fly traps, pitcher plant seeds and sun dew seeds. I was getting the impression that carnivorous plants need nitrogen, which they get from bugs and apparently protein is nitrogen. Maybe they need more nutrients than just nitrogen. Maybe the plants I will have, will need such a small amount of food, that worrying about the cost is unrealistic and impractical. I'm used to live animals and outdoor plants and new to bug eating plants.

If you go to a feed store (Tractor Supply Co., for instance), you can pick up mealworms by the pound for only a couple dollars more than you paid for 4 oz. of bloodworms. Iirc, mealworms have slightly more phosphorus in them as well, and are considered the best source of commercially available food for CP's. It's been awhile since I hand-fed my plants, but when I did, I would grind up a couple pinches of mealworms in a mortar & pestle, rehydrate it with a bit of distilled water until it was like a paste, and feed them dollops of that.

Blood meal might be inexpensive, but unless you hand-feed thousands of plants, and/or use it for other purposes (fertilizing your garden), then there's no reason to go that route.

Back