What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Friendly Peat Moss Brand?

I have always used LFS for all of my CPs but after a few months, this is proving to be really expensive. Does anybody have any good Peat Moss brands that are safe two use with CPs that are also available at Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes?

Unfortunately peat quality varies wildly regionally, and even bale to bale within the same brand. Perhaps someone else in the Great Lakes region can give you some advice, but it's still not guaranteed.

Unfortunately peat quality varies wildly regionally, and even bale to bale within the same brand. Perhaps someone else in the Great Lakes region can give you some advice, but it's still not guaranteed.

Um in bc canada not Ontario :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best general advice is to just look for any peat that is additive free. Avoid peat from companies like Miracle-Gro. Additives like fertilizer and wetting agents are selling points so they would be advertised on the bag if present.

There are plenty of threads about it on TF. Here is mine:

Search

If you can afford it, try to avoid peat. There is not way to harvest peat that is not devastating to the natural bogs and ecosystems that inhabit them. Some people are trying mixes of charcoal, perlite, sand, and some lfs, to avoid peat.

Unfortunately peat is a unique substance that's very difficult to replace. A lot of CPs just won't grow very well without it.

I've seen growers like Mike King with his "peat free" mix and his Sarracenias do really well.

Back