What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft got attacked heavily

So my vft got attacked by bird,you can clearly see what happened in the Image bellow
Before attacked
GyQ0Fmu.jpg

Affter attacked and i have been report it
F2eOSUC.jpg

You can see it got damaged heavily,and aslo that 2 vft in 1 pot and only 1 survive,other one got it root came off and dry out.Aslo this was my drosera,it aslo got attacked, it flowers buds got carried away :'(
Before the attacked
1PEPHzS.jpg

After
ggu7Jki.jpg

So....i wonder if my plant will survive this or it will get shock and die,i can see my vft very weak,aslo i cant understand why the bird got in,i have build a cage but it still got in so i go get some bandage and warp around my cage :'( :eek:ops

The plants look like they should be fine. How do you know it was a bird? I feel like a bird would have done more damage.

I see many feather around my cage

You should check and see if the growing point is still there and not damaged. If it isn't damaged, it should be fine. If it is, then you should probably take some leaf pullings.

Your sundew should be just fine, the growth point doesn't look like it was touched. Leaf pullings on your flytrap might be a good idea if the growth point is gone. I can't see it in the photos at least. Where in the world are you growing? If that black net was your cage you might want to change it to something stiff like an old birdcage. I used an abandoned guinea pig cage when I grew outdoors to keep animals out.

Yeah i can see the growth point is gone,maybe go and pullings leaf now,im in south asia and it pretty hot there,but now my country is in rain season. Thats chicken cage,i think i should get some fence and warp around it
Umm so basicly my vft growth point is lost and cant growth any more and i have to leaf pullings it, so sad........

Last edited:
If you're in South Asia you have a few more things to consider down the line. Dionea are temperate plants and die eventually if not given a cold winter dormancy. Look into the fridge dormancy method so you know what to do when your plants do start showing signs of dormancy.

Oh i dont know that,thanks for the help

But my vft lost its growth point so it cant produce new leaf anymore and will die soon?

But my vft lost its growth point so it cant produce new leaf anymore and will die soon?

That is why you want to take a few leaf pullings, for insurance. If the plant fails to send up a new growth point it'll probably die away. But with the leaf pullings you'll be able to start over and not lose the plant completely.

Ok i see that i can make about 3-4 pot from it

Last edited:
I think they will be fine if kept safe until they can heal. The vft depends on how much of the rhizome was damaged, if any, but I don't think picking off the newest leaf prevents any further growth. Each trap doesn't come from the last one, so it isn't a growth tip like with a nepenthes vine. I cut my wacky traps down to just a rhizome when it started dying, rinsed it, hit it with peroxide, and repotted in new sterile soil, and in a couple months it made well over a dozen, probably 2 dozen, healthy traps. The sundew looks fine. It will likely put up several more flower stalks anyway.

Also, if you can't protect them outside, I'd move them to a sunny windowsill if you don't have access to grow lights, but leaving them out there, if it was an animal, is just asking for it to happen again.

So i have shot a picture,seem like the rhizome dont take much damaged
F8uCdSY.jpg

Back