What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Able to buy Drosera seeds from outside the US without any permits?

I was offered some Drosera seeds from overseas and was wondering if I needed any permits? The seller is saying I don't need due to them not being on the CITES, but I just wanted to make sure I was following all the rules. Thanks!

You are technically supposed to have a permit to import any plant material (though you can import up to 12 live plants with just a phytosanitary certificate.) There is a special permit just for seeds that is free, but you may have difficulty convincing the seller to use it as it is a bit of extra hassle and I don't think customs actually cares about seed shipments. From the seller's point of view it's extra work for no benefit since the seeds would almost certainly arrive safely without it.

You are technically supposed to have a permit to import any plant material (though you can import up to 12 live plants with just a phytosanitary certificate.) There is a special permit just for seeds that is free, but you may have difficulty convincing the seller to use it as it is a bit of extra hassle and I don't think customs actually cares about seed shipments. From the seller's point of view it's extra work for no benefit since the seeds would almost certainly arrive safely without it.

Gotcha, thanks! I'm glad I asked! I'll look into the permit and ask them about it as well.

Getting the Small Seed Lots permit is simple. The biggest hassle is if you want to do it only you need to go to a USDA office in person to confirm your ID before you can get level 2 web access. The process is a lot simpler for everybody now as you can send your paperwork and labels electronically to the seller. All they have to do is print it out (color for the labels) and include it in the package - the label goes on the outside.

Back