What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help!! need growing conditions for drosera rubrifolia

Hi I need help finding information on what's the ideal growing conditions for rubrifolia I can't seem to find any information of it I currently have one that I have recently got and idk if it's from shock or its declining plz help!!.

Have you tried contacting the seller?

Very high humidity, lots of light.

And can anyone fill me in why I can do find much info of rubrifolia ? And any tips on how. To increase humidity ? For the plant

From what I've been able to find, this species prefers cooler temperatures and a cold (not freezing) winter is recommended to encourage flowering

IIRC this is one of the South Africa species, not sure if it's a winter-growing one. Probably best to keep it on the cooler side, lots of light, humidity, and good airflow.

Last edited:
I've been told this is a rather tricky species, not ideal for the beginner. Lots of light, high humidity, cool temps, and tends to die back if temps get too high.

It can be a winter-grower, and will do better under cool temperatures (think 70's F and below, but not freezing); warmer conditions will either make it go dormant or severaly weaken it.

Just an update ..i lost ... the sundew ... fist plant to ever lose.. :/

Did you toss the pot already? Sometimes the crown will die but the roots are still alive, and may resprout later.

No I still have the pot but it doesn't look hopefull....

Hold onto the pot for a few months. Even something that looks completely dead can surprise you given enough time.

You can also try taking one or two healthy roots (if you can find them) and laying them on some wet live sphagnum in brightly lit, cool, humid conditions.
I haven't grown D. rubrifolia, but in my experience roots resprout a bit faster this way since they have exposure to light, and they don't rot as often since they have better oxygenation.

Back