Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Facebook CP groups are nice but....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind the facebook groups too much.

I think my biggest issue is that there's just so many of them! How does someone know which are good and bad? Checking them all is just a huge waste of time and the sheer multitude makes it easy for scammers and poachers to just move to a new group.

Forums are nice because, as nim mentioned, they're conducive to long-term discussions as well as do a better job at consolidating interest...IMO anyways
    Last edited by Cactusdan; 09-14-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook partners with data collection companies that show your purchasing history (both online and offline), and they develop a "buyer profile" based off of the things you mentioned + data gathered from other sources completely outside of Facebook. They also embed cookies to track your browsing history and if you've clicked on an ad in the past, they embed a cookie in your browser so they can re-target you for the same or similar ads in the future. Yes those cookies can be blocked by any number of extensions or even by the browser's settings. Even if you access the internet via FireFox + FoxyProxy and a dedicated private proxy server, behind 3 firewalls and a router, all the while keeping the information you provide at registration to a minimum, they'll still have enough data on you to target some ads. However, Facebook does allow people to opt-out of being pinpoint targeted for ad placement but most people don't know this and wouldn't be bothered to actually do it.

There's an article about all of this here: Facebook Lets Advertisers Tap Purchase Data Partners To Target Customers, Categories Like Car-Buyers | TechCrunch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not enough to make me or others stop using it, but it just shows that Facebook does not limit their data mining to what goes on within their platform.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactusdan View Post
    I don't mind the facebook groups too much.

I think my biggest issue is that there's just so many of them! How does someone know which are good and bad? Checking them all is just a huge waste of time and the sheer multitude makes it easy for scammers and poachers to just move to a new group.

Forums are nice because, as nim mentioned, they're conducive to long-term discussions as well as do a better job at consolidating interest...IMO anyways
    Well that problem isn't specific to Facebook. There are a LOT of different CP forums out there too. There's always a bunch of people who want to be in charge so they make their own forum/group for various reasons. It just ends up fragmenting the community, but the alternative of having everybody in the same place would cause too many problems (just think back to how many people have left various forums due to conflicts with other users.) In a way, I think Facebook actually cuts down on this problem by limiting the accessibility of older discussions. It still happens of course, but I feel like it's less of a problem there.

And yes, ramdacc, I do realize how intrusive Facebook is but focusing so much on them isn't a good idea because they are far from the only company doing this. We don't want to give people the impression that Facebook is the only one. Personally, I try to avoid Google products (though it's difficult to avoid Youtube since pretty much every video on the internet is posted there) and keep my interactions with Facebook to a minimum, though I see it as a necessary evil since social networks have become such a ubiquitous part of modern life. I literally have no other way to keep in contact with many people I know.

There are other issues as well - I've been told by people in the industry that if a job recruiter sees that you have no presence on Facebook, their first thought is to wonder what you're trying to hide. With no account, others can freely post things on there that may make you look bad and you have no control over this content.
    Last edited by nimbulan; 09-14-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    And yes, ramdacc, I do realize how intrusive Facebook is but focusing so much on them isn't a good idea because they are far from the only company doing this.
    I very much agree and that's kinda my point. People avoiding Facebook always use the information I posted as a reason to stay away from it, but a lot of Facebook's data comes from outside sources, meaning they aren't the only one's that have access to it. Those data companies sell that information to whomever is willing to pay for it. I've bought marketing lists from companies like Salesgenie and their targeting criteria are just as specific as Facebook's. What I'm getting at is, people need to realize that their personal information isn't infinitely "safer" just because they aren't on Facebook. Embrace it for what it's good for, but it does have it's drawbacks (my original post, for instance).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use forums for other hobbies as well and the experience just feels of a higher quality than I would get from Facebook. I just don't feel like others that Facebook is conducive to serious discussion. Wish I could say that I didn't use it for anything else either.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am part of some of them, but I prefer Instagram. Upon reentering the hobby this winter, I made a plant instagram account just to keep all of my pics in one place, but it turns out a pretty active cp community has grown on IG during the few years I was away. I've already done a good deal of trading and chatting, and even did an international group buy, with people on there.

That said, I don't think either Facebook or Instagram are a complete replacement for good forums. As already mentioned, forums are great for long discussions, archives, etc..

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I like the FB CP groups.... most of them. A lot of the people are TF, but there are people on FB that are not here. I've made new friends and worked out more trades.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am on FB for both personal and business reasons. It started as the best way for my extended family to keep in touch, then when my son was overseas (government contractor) he had free internet and started using messenger as a way to keep in touch with everyone. I have a business page and am able to keep myself in front of targeted FB groups for my services. My local bird clubs have moved almost exclusively to FB. They maintain up to date websites, but FB is the only way to get interaction with other members.

I limit my FB feed to only those groups I want. I am a member of probably 20 FB groups on various subjects but only get active feeds from four of them. The rest I look up as a desire. This way my page is not cluttered with photos, et al from all different groups.

Finally, as to targeted ads. I can't believe the number of ads on line, mailings to home, and spam phone calls I get that have me pigeon holed as someone I am not.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12