What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aqueous smoke water

Are there good source of aqueous smoke water for seed germination in the US? There are some products in South Africa, and Australia.

There are pretty good evidences that aqueous smoke water can break seed dormancy, and Karrikinolide (KAR1) is likely to be the active component. I know some people use fire for germination, but it would be nice that if I can do better control. According to data, if you give too much, it reduces the germination. With the smoke water, we can easily control the dosage. Most of the time, they bubble the smoke into water, and saturate it with KAR1. The saturation occurs fairly quickly (about 10-20 min of bubbling). And 1/10 dilution of the saturated smoke water is a good starting point. So I'm wondering if it is available in the US.

I probably have to make a DIY smoke water rig. Has anyone made something similar (with cheap and commonly available components)?

Here is a related topic, and the last post contains the rig, but it uses bee smoker and aspirator.
Can anyone tell me how to produce smoke water which is used to promote seed germination? - ResearchGate

Here is a more full scale tech. pub.
https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/downloads/98-108

I'm trying tuberous Drosera seeds from Australia.

For tuberous sundew seeds, I've personally only read about heat and bleach treatments. I was recommended by an experienced grower to sprinkle some ash over the pots after a heat treatment though. Good luck, and if you have any success let us know!

I'm not exactly sure how it compares to actual smoke but I have used commercial smoke flavoring liquid from a grocery store mixed with a little water. It's easy to come by and seems to work. 'Smells great, too.

This is making me think I should try a smoke water treatment on my Byblis lamellata seeds since GA3 apparently didn't do anything for them.

Mark, I've read people using cooking liquid smoke. I should check how they make it. If they add some other salts, it could be a problem, but if they dissolve the smoke into the water, it could work in the right concentration.

After reading a bit more, it doesn't work for some Drosera. The second link in the original post has data for D. gigantea, D. macrantha and D. pallida. The effect of smoke is not significant (in the later 2) or negative for D. gigantic. But they discuss that they might respond better with lower amount of smoke (citing personal communication with A. Lowrie).

This paper reports no significance for D. erythrorhiza and D. macrantha:
Kingsley W. Dixon, Shauna Roche, John S. Pate 1995 The promotive effect of smoke derived from burnt native vegetation on seed germination of Western Australian plants. Oecologia 101: 185-192

Also a negative effect was reported for D. rotundifolia from Japan (not too surprising):
Tsuyuzaki, S. & C. Miyoshi 2009 Effects of smoke, heat, darkness and cold stratification
on seed germination of 40 species in a cool temperate zone in northern Japan. Plant Biology 11: 369-378.

These studied used only 1 level of smoke treatments (e.g. 1 hour or aerosol smoke, or a certain dilution of smoke water), so there is some room that smoke could be useful for Drosera. I guess I have to get sufficient amount of seeds to test the dosage effects...

Back