What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need germination guide on sundews and info in where to buy seeds I'm trying to

Hi guys I need help germinating sundew from seeds and where I could buy seeds that are viable ??

Sow seeds on the surface of a regular peat soil mix, they need light to germinate. Put the container wherever you normally grow sundews. Some people will recommend elevating the humidity by putting a clear cover over the container, though I generally don't. If you do, don't leave it in direct sun as it will heat up far too much.

As for where to get seeds, it's usually easiest to buy some from other growers. People often sell seeds from their plants, most often on Facebook.

Last edited:
If you tell the community you're a new grower and looking to get started, people will often give away seed for easy to grow species if you send them an S.A.S.E. Most of us who grow Sundews have common beginner species seed laying around. Want some free Drosera capensis seed?

Good growing,
Mike

Look up the sundew grow guides, not every species requires the same conditions. Seeds are sold everywhere.

Kleon2, I sent you a PM.

Good growing,
Mike

Anyone know what the minimum temperature is for germination? I grow outside, so I need to time sowing with spring carefully.

Yes. The temperature can vary due to the thickness of seed coating, however 72F is the most common temperature. I usually keep them open and have a heater underneath. S.A.S.E. and I will send you some seed.

oldman51 what's your address if possible for me to send a s.a.s.e

Growsundews.com is also a great resource for info lots of info on there

Sent from my LGL61AL using Tapatalk

Sow seeds on the surface of a regular peat soil mix, they need light to germinate. Put the container wherever you normally grow sundews. Some people will recommend elevating the humidity by putting a clear cover over the container, though I generally don't. If you do, don't leave it in direct sun as it will heat up far too much.

As for where to get seeds, it's usually easiest to buy some from other growers. People often sell seeds from their plants, most often on Facebook.

I put the pots in Ziplock bags and keep them off to the side of the trays, on the grow rack.

Back