What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need pollen for drosera mulitifida extrema.??

Hi guys so recently my drosera mulitifida extrema grew a flower stalk and has two flowers with pollen anyone have pollen to trade with my pollen to produce seed ?

Chances are most if not all the "extrema" in cultivation are the same clone, so you won't be likely to get much anyway.

That is my understanding as well - pretty much all multifidas in cultivation are a single clone. You'd have to get pollen from another binata-complex plant. I recently got ahold of some seed-grown location data plants but they're a bit small yet.

I'm growing some D. binata multifida from seed. (Not the multifida extrema cultivar). When those mature they'll have some genetic diversity.

Good growing,
Mike

Should I just cut the flower stalk so I can clone another drosera plant ? How do I do that curious???

You could if you don't want to see the flowers; just cut the stalk and lay it on moist soil like any other part of the plant.
Mind you, if you wanted to cross extrema with another multifida form that should be possible; there are multiple multifida lineages (including white and pink-flowered clones) and multiple locales out there. Whether or not the resulting seedlings would be fertile or not though I couldn't say; the group is a mess.

I was responsible for distributing plants grown from seed collected at Evan's Head NSW. I was also responsible for mislabeling them as regular multifida. These are in fact the D. multifida "extrema" form (not a cultivar), just of wild parentage from that locale. I hope these plants provide genetic diversity to the US gene pool.

Good luck, Kleon!

I currently have 3 seedlings sundew binata from different sources, but the simple "T". I will try pollinated when possible. managing to send to you to make pollination. as binata multifida, this only have one source and will not be able to send seeds. Planting the stem (base of the flowers) but there is no way to send seedlings.

Back