What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum move... Prepare for some strangeness and down time. Check your book mark....

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
First off, check your bookmark... it should be www.terraforums.com or terraforums.com (either should work) I just don't know if /forums at the end will still work, so best to make sure you don't use it.

So, I'm going to be moving the forum over to a new server company... quite a bit faster processing, SSD HHDs and even better yet a faster connection (400mbps now, 10gbps at new location) so hopefully we'll see some benefits to the move.

If you are interested in helping me test out the new server please send a pm and I'll send out a PM once I get a copy of the forum set up... I'll expect you to cruise around and look for bugs, and features not working properly.
Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance during the move!
Andrew

Thanks to those that PMd me, sorry I didn't think about how you couldn't post to the forum announcements area. :-\ I've fixed that.. but it looks like we are all going to end up being guinea pigs. Turns out I can't make the forum run on another URL I own which I was going to do just to test a move of the forum... so I'll have to do a live move and hope it works. If it ends up being really really broke I'll have to divert back to this copy of it. Which means... any posts made in the mean time will be lost. I'm pretty confident I've worked out the move issues now, and the server is completely up and running and ready for the attempt... So, we'll see how it goes. Not too sure when I'll try it either, I'd like to do it this weekend so I have time to watch for big issues so maybe I'll attack it sometime soon.
Thanks in advance to everyone for working with me through it.
Andrew

'Sounds like it's time to batten down the hatches, mates!

'Sounds like it's time to batten down the hatches, mates!

Guess you were right man... wow... What a day! So if you see anything funky, please let me know. I know a lot of "hack" features I've added are not here, I had to dissable them all as some were causing issues. I'll try fresh installs over the next few days or whatever and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone for hanging with me :)
Andrew

Bugs:

Banner (and a few other URLs) not directing properly (fixed)
MUST use www. to load page on chrome (fixed)
Forum list icons, quick reply icons, chat icons (and others) missing (fixed)

Last edited:
I'm still unable to find the forum on Tapatalk though I suspect that the problem may be on Tapatalk's end, due to how slow searching has been since yesterday. I should note that I am using a third party Tapatalk client since there is no official one available for Windows Phone but I've never had issues with it before.

I'm still unable to find the forum on Tapatalk though I suspect that the problem may be on Tapatalk's end, due to how slow searching has been since yesterday. I should note that I am using a third party Tapatalk client since there is no official one available for Windows Phone but I've never had issues with it before.
I haven't been able to access TF for a bit through Tapatalk but it seems to be working now!

I am finding that when I click on "home" at the top of the page I get a list of files in text and icons rather than being transported to the home page. But I am finding that pages of photos load faster than before and pms send more smoothly. Now I am trying a post to see if that has improved as I was getting strange messages about having to leave the page when I tried to before the new server.

(later) And that went off without a hitch. :)

Last edited:

I haven't been able to access TF for a bit through Tapatalk but it seems to be working now!

Curious that it isn't working for one, and started for another. LOL
This was lastweek's status (sent to me in email)
Plug In Status
Installed Version: vb40_5.6.11
Latest Version: vb40_5.6.13

Daily Active Users
IOS: 11
Android: 4

Other Metric:
New Registrations: 4

So it was working for some, I did update the version yesterday though so maybe that did it for you.

I am finding that when I click on "home" at the top of the page I get a list of files in text and icons rather than being transported to the home page. But I am finding that pages of photos load faster than before and pms send more smoothly. Now I am trying a post to see if that has improved as I was getting strange messages about having to leave the page when I tried to before the new server.

(later) And that went off without a hitch. :)

Yeah, I'm working on the file/domain thing still... Glad you notice it is running a bit better, I believe I see it too, but still have more things to reactivate so we'll see once it's all up and running.

So I'm guessing this was the funky issue that made the site unavailable to me yesterday....nice to see it's back up and running now.

On the note of banners not working, clicking the home page banner re-directs to
Here - http://www.terraforums.com/forums/

If the /forums/ gets deleted from the end, the site works just fine.
Just wondering if you knew that was the re-direct problem.
Maybe change relocation link if possible

Nem, post 5 of this thread mentions this. I'm attempting a whole url structure change it should be resolved soon though. I don't want the /forums anymore so I'm working on removing it forum wide.

Alright good, I was just talking the /forums part being added in general.

Also, one other problem I noticed on mobile is that if you try to scroll to the top of the chat screen,
it will almost instantly take you back to the bottom. Not an important problem, but one more bug in the pantry :p

Last edited:
Yeah, because that is what you were directed to before. :)

Hmm... I don't have that scroll up thing, when I scroll all the way up I see the top of the forum, and if I go further, it reloads my page like it's supposed to when you swipe down.

Okay all the links including the banner should be working now.

Several portions of the quick reply box (buttons for fonts, emojis etc.) are missing or blank, and I'm not seeing the notifications on the side of the subforum tabs denoting which has new thread posts.

I'm having this problem too. I'm using Firefox on a Windows 10 computer by the way.

I noticed the missing icons today as well. And I still can't find Terraforums in the Tapatalk search, though the search isn't obscenely slow anymore.

Ah thanks, I will look into that!

Back