User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about selling on TerraForums (classifieds system)

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ScatterPants I also just noticed this (in regards to Panjo seeming sketchy) They're listed by Forbes 2015 as their #7 "America's Most Promising Companies" at $42million with only 10 employees. Forbes Welcome
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    @hcarlton Like I mentioned above, have you considered sharing your sales post via the social share links? Also, I believe there is a link sent to you near expiration where you can extend it, also you can go in to expired listings and relist them with a couple clicks.
    Basically everything I have listed is already on my main social media site, so that wouldn't do much (not to mention, no fees via FB so people would probably contact me directly rather than through Panjo in that case). If people mention they have an interest in things though (a lot of the sundews etc. that I post photos of I often have extras of), I might list here again.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gotcha Purchases don't have to go through Panjo... They can be canceled if processed off of Panjo/somewhere else that you have it listed, just they can only help if something goes wrong if it's through them is all.
    Andrew
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    @ScatterPants I also just noticed this (in regards to Panjo seeming sketchy) They're listed by Forbes 2015 as their #7 "America's Most Promising Companies" at $42million with only 10 employees. Forbes Welcome
    I didn't mean to attack panjo's actual integrity, I more meant to point out that its appearance is similar to a lot of other sketchy sites and since it is an unknown platform I think it would also come off that way to a lot of other people. After reading your more recent posts in this thread I'm actually more confused as to why panjo should be a part of the classifieds system at all. If the transaction fees are not that important I don't see why we couldn't just post threads right in the subforum without panjo. It just seems like an extra barrier and reason to go offsite to trade unless I really need another place to look for something exceedingly rare. Maybe I am missing something about what makes it desirable.

You also mentioned possibly rethinking the vendor rule. When I joined I was surprised there was such a rule here since most of the forums that have that rule use it so that the vendors who pay to advertise and/or post in vendor subforums are promoted over random vendors. I'm not really sure of the purpose of the rule on this site but am not a big fan of the rule. It's not a huge deal since we all find other ways to share our sources anyway but it's just a minor inconvenience I don't understand the need for.

I probably come off as being negative but I just wanted to give an honest response so hopefully my post will be received as such

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScatterPants View Post
    You also mentioned possibly rethinking the vendor rule. When I joined I was surprised there was such a rule here since most of the forums that have that rule use it so that the vendors who pay to advertise and/or post in vendor subforums are promoted over random vendors. I'm not really sure of the purpose of the rule on this site but am not a big fan of the rule. It's not a huge deal since we all find other ways to share our sources anyway but it's just a minor inconvenience I don't understand the need for.

I probably come off as being negative but I just wanted to give an honest response so hopefully my post will be received as such
    Wasn't that initially because Andy has his own store here and didn't want people undercutting him? That's why selling and mentioning of other vendors was always banned before, no? I was away from 2013-2016, but that's what I remember.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This forum was one of the first, if not the first CP forum created in 2000 or 2001 by someone who owned a CP store. Back then, the no vendor rule was common all over the web for forums similar to this to keep down advertising for your competition. I purchased the forum from him and started my own store just to pay for the server and such to keep this forum going, free forum options were not available back then... I kept the rules, just like no selling. As time changes so does the web, and these rules are becoming less and less common and seen more out of place now, like I mentioned even big websites like walmart and such have advertising on their own sites for other companies. The pay for advertising you mention is one of the things I'm considering and why the gates just haven't been opened to vendor talk. Same with selling, I've not really decided fully if I want to leave it in place or not, a lot of people wanted it but nobody has really put it to use.

I originally looked at Panjo because they were considering making it so listings could be auction style, so I thought that would be cool for the NASC auctions, and for the forums in general. Getting a cut to support the forum was of course a selling point, but it seemed a lot of people were not interested in it because of the fees even though they're similar to ebay... as mentioned there is social media and things with no fees... so I turned down/off my cut of the deal to see if that would help increase activity in the classifieds section but never really worked too hard to point it out. I'd really like to do something neater than just posting threads like all the other forums, I don't look at it as an extra barrier but a level of polish. If you listed multiple items there is even a page where you can link to that shows all your items so it's almost like a little store front. I already showed how it's not difficult to sign up or list items so I'm confused how it's any harder than posting to the forum.
    -Andrew

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, things have shifted from discussion forums like this to groups on Facebook.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are on Facebook? Are any of you (aside from H.C.) friends of mine, there?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast