What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia bulb sprouting?

I got a kit with a VFT and a Sarracenia bulb in it about a month back. The FVT I potted up and now is on my indoor porch for the winter. However I've been trying to grow the bulb indoors for the winter with very little luck. To day I checked on it and it seems to be sprouting or the moss got moved. Can I get your opinion on this. if not sprouting should I cover it back up? sorry for the algae. I don't know how it got there or how to get rid of it.

Untitled by disturbed_in_ct, on Flickr

It's hard to tell what's going on there, but generally when you plant a Sarracenia rhizome you should keep the top of the rhizome exposed like you would with an iris.

Where did you get the kit from? Do you have any pictures of the rhizomes before you planted them?

It's hard to tell what's going on there, but generally when you plant a Sarracenia rhizome you should keep the top of the rhizome exposed like you would with an iris.

Where did you get the kit from? Do you have any pictures of the rhizomes before you planted them?

It was one of this kits from Lowes. I didn't think of taking a pre pic I should have. I hoe this shot helps more> I moved the mass back a bit.

Untitled by disturbed_in_ct, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm seeing rotting bottoms of leaves, and that looks like the flytrap rhizome, not the Sarracenia rhizome; for one, I tend to suggest growing flytraps in a peat mix and not sphagnum, and secondly, that is looking way too wet for this time of year, active growth present or not. Let it remain only just damp especially until new growth actively appears, and remove that dead matter or you could well lose the entire thing.

I would agree that looks like a flytrap. Carefully clean the dead material off and as long as it still feels firm it should be ok. Don't bury it in the pot, the plant will want to be close to the surface.

I would agree that looks like a flytrap. Carefully clean the dead material off and as long as it still feels firm it should be ok. Don't bury it in the pot, the plant will want to be close to the surface.

Thanks I will put it in peat when I get home from work tomorrow

Back