What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming long freeze in the northwest

• Thread starter osito
  • Start date
Anyone doing any protecting in the coming week for the big freeze? This is my first winter up here so I'm not sure what to do if anything at all. My plants are tucked up on the balcony of my apartment uncovered at the moment.

What did you do during the last freeze?

Nothing....

Are you leading me to my answer? ��

I generally only protect the more sensitive species like S. minor. If we get a decent layer of snow or ice like last time, there shouldn't be any problems. If it's just freezing temperatures, then I start worrying after about 3 days which is generally how long it takes the plants to start wilting. It can happen with flytraps sooner, at least in my experience. A general recommendation is to cover the plants with black plastic to prevent moisture loss. I'm guessing you don't have access to an unheated indoor area like a garage to protect the plants.

I see. This freeze is supposed to be for about a week or so. I have a utility closet on my balcony I could stick them in.

Probably just gonna cover mine with hort. fleece.

The local nursery here is recommending protecting plants since the upcoming freeze is supposed to be so long, and there's wind in the forecast too which will make it worse. I'm going to see how much snow we get tomorrow and figure out what to do. I've got too many plants outside now for it to be feasible to move them.

Up here in hazel dell the temps are supposed to drop tomorrow night. So I'll leave them out tonight then into the closet until next Saturday I believe is when it lets up.

I'm going to wait and see how much snow we end up getting tomorrow. If it's a decent coating, I won't need to do much.

Ah shoot, wind? May need to bring plants into the garage then.

I have an 80 qt cooler. I put the pots in the cooler and close the lid for the night and open them during the day. It takes the edge off the freezing overnight lows, while avoiding drastic shanges tp their environment.

Back