What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caveat emptor, Ebay seller selling Byblis aquatica seeds is hawking Drosera or what?

• Thread starter pearldiver
  • Start date
Perhaps and probably my own fault, I ordered some seeds from an Ebay seller, and got stung. The listing was for B. aquatica, and I got a bunch of what appear to some unknown sundew seeds. They are only off by about a factor of 100 in size, so there is that. Wishful thinking and all. There was no pic of the seeds on the listing. The pictures of the plants were right so I thought it would be ok. I waited too long for the money back guarantee, and strangely enough, the seller declined to refund my $$. From the listing, the seller appeared to be from Frisco, or something, but that was not the case. Should that be listed again and temptation get the better of you, consider my experience. The loss was minimal but irritating and could have lead to other problems.

Looks like you bought from that Spanish guy. He's a known scammer who has been lately falsely listing items as being in New York when they are in fact shipped from Spain. If your seeds were shipped from Spain, report him because that's a violation of eBay policy.

I think he may be a she, but yes, from Spain. Though the listing made it look like from CA. I did report it, but not in that way. And maybe he writes his name as a she. And maybe it was NY. I would have to go back and look at the listing. And I think I will report the way you say. Good idea, thanks.

I couldn't say whether it's a he or a she, but I do know it's not this person's first account. Usually there are a lot of listings for very rare Nepenthes seeds, often crosses between two very rare species, and you'll get a whopping 5 seeds per pack. Lately I've seen a few very obviously fake Drosera crosses in the mix as well.

In this case, the amount of seeds is actually quite generous. But they are probably Weedus pieceofcrapo. Or similar. And for nine bucks, you wonder, why not find something legit to sell and go home? But oh well. Lesson learned, though I already knew better, just wanted to believe the listing was on the up and up, and that I could obtain those seeds without a great deal of hassle. But you know the old saying about if it seems too good to be true... Now that I look at the return address the name is "Antonia Caballero." https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct..._QX2538Tx-vS-S_IF_AMmQ&bvm=bv.142059868,d.amc

Oh I think I remember now. I was told this seller is a guy, but that he's using his mother's name on the newest account to throw people off. No way to prove that of course.

At one point he emailed back and offered to send me some "carnivore carnivore" seeds, whatever that might be.:) I did report the person to Ebay, and while it took almost a half hour on the tele, I got the refund and they said some gobbledegoop about telling him about that policy about the items location.

You mean my edwardsiana x veitchii seeds aren't legit?? :-))

This the same guy who was advertising "D. adelae x binata" seedlings? Whom I messaged about once with how it wasn't physically possible, and he responded with basically "but I did it, see the split leaf?" I hate scammers....

Yes I remember seeing the D. adelae x binata not too long ago, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned fake Drosera crosses and it is the same person.

I also got some email from him New message from: carmenalcalacaballero (290Turquoise Star)
If you want I can send you carnivore seeds now that you tell me. It would be a gift from me to you. I have seeds available from Pinguicula, Drosera, Nepenthes, I have many varieties of carnivores .... I hope your message. If so I win that you can take the negative vote. I give you seeds and you take me away The vote. I every time I make a seed shipment always gift additional seeds.You can see in votes that I am a good seller.and I always take care of those who are with me ...

New message from: carmenalcalacaballero (290Turquoise Star)
Tell me soon that Wednesday I do the shipments .... so that I give you time to prepare the seeds of you. I could also send you a live plant of carnivora carnivora from Mexico if you want. I have many kinds of seeds nepenthes if you want.I'll wait for the answer, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Dear pearldiver6,

If you want I can send you carnivore seeds now that you tell me. It would be a gift from me to you. I have seeds available from Pinguicula, Drosera, Nepenthes, I have many varieties of carnivores .... I hope your message. If so I win that you can take the negative vote. I give you seeds and you take me away The vote. I every time I make a seed shipment always gift additional seeds.You can see in votes that I am a good seller.and I always take care of those who are with me ...

- carmenalcalacaballero

I also got some email from him New message from: carmenalcalacaballero (290Turquoise Star)

New message from: carmenalcalacaballero (290Turquoise Star)
Tell me soon that Wednesday I do the shipments .... so that I give you time to prepare the seeds of you. I could also send you a live plant of carnivora carnivora from Mexico if you want. I have many kinds of seeds nepenthes if you want.I'll wait for the answer, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Dear pearldiver6,

- carmenalcalacaballero
Wait, THIS person is a scammer?

Sent from my SM-G935V

The original listing was not so discombobulated. It actually read like well, normal. What do you suppose carnivore carnivore is? I also think they/he/she is asking me to remove my negative feedback. I do speak gibberish, so I can more or less translate.

The original listing was not so discombobulated. It actually read like well, normal. What do you suppose carnivore carnivore is? I also think they/he/she is asking me to remove my negative feedback. I do speak gibberish, so I can more or less translate.
Its a he, he has a youtube channel, its all in spanish though.

Sent from my SM-G935V

Do you have a link or address or screenname? Por favor.

. . . I got a bunch of what appear to some unknown sundew seeds.
Do you plan on sprouting them? If not, I'd give it a go for you. It would be interesting just to know what they are when grown out. :p
If you don't want to grow them out, let me know and we'll SASE or trade or something. Just for fun. :D

Last edited:
Back