What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A CP as an office plant

• Thread starter nate78+1
  • Start date
I'm looking for recommendations for a carnivorous plant that could be an office plant. I have a windowsill in my office that is in need of a plant, it's usually around 68to73F and gets atleast 3 hours of good sun because of its location. The humidity isn't the highest but it can we watered as much as needes. Any recommendations of one that would be able to make it in this environment?? Thanks all.

A subtropical sundew like d. capensis or adelae would probably work. Three hours of sun should be enough as long as it gets bright light the rest of the day.

I would recommend a common Nepenthes hybrid myself, anything you can find at a local nursery or home improvement store. They will do well with that light level and are more tolerant of poor water quality than most CPs. The only potential issue is that they can drip nectar on the floor (it's a slow process so you can prevent it if you keep an eye on the plant.) They can also get fairly large, though you can always cut the plant back if it gets out of hand.

I don't think that amount of light will be enough to keep a sundew healthy.

Get a micro cube and go to town with a few utrics

I second the Nepenthes hybrid idea. I have several in my office window. My ventrata is growing out of control but I also have some more interesting hybrids that are doing quite well.

As an added bonus you get to answer a lot of questions about your plants from your coworkers like, "will it bite me?" And "how do they go to the bathroom?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours of sun means best if you stick with hardy Nepenthes (ventrata, ventricosa, or 'Miranda' suggested as a start) or terrestrial Utricularia (sandersonii, livida, pubescens etc.). D. adelae will not do well in general humidity, though the light requirements might be right.

I do have some lavida on the way. I am kinda leaning towards the Nepenthe way. 3 hours may have been an underestimate, it may be more like 5-6. Any recommendation on a Nepenthe that stays on the smaller size?

N. maxima 'mini' is the plant you should look into. I grow mine indoors. It was growing under a desk lamp, now it's in front of a window. Has done well both ways.
I just traded off cuttings from my plant, but maybe we could work out something in several months.
Good Luck!
:D

Last edited:
N. ventricosa can be kept small with pruning, but the species that actually stay compact are not really beginner plants or suited to an office environment. A miniature maxima is a possible idea as well, but they can still end up pretty lengthy.

I gave my friend an old disease ridden N. ventricosa that was suffering on my windowsill for many years. He put it in his workplace office where it began to thrive and turn into a veritable bush.

So I think it is a great species for offices, and kitchens and other conventional human settings.

Back