What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking opinions on my built-in

• Thread starter aarolar
  • Start date
We have some built-in shelves in our living room and I had the idea to use it to display some plants both carnivorous and other. I ordered this light off the net and this is what I have going so far. Will it work? If in can make it work well I can add timers and fans to improve or if I have a silly idea tell me. Ideally I would like to do at least one on each side maybe more if I end up with enough plants.
dc42c79eb8309ec28dab3029b86cd607.jpg
0cfb16dc5f524dab846fda5ef36a1878.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What plants are you growing there?

What plants are you growing there?
Right now that's a Drosera burmannii, Pinguicula primuliflora, and a small flytrap. I don't really intend on growing flytraps inside mainly sundrews and pings.

Yeah I think the flytrap would do better outside. The other plants aren't too difficult and should do okay in that setup.

Yeah I think the flytrap would do better outside. The other plants aren't too difficult and should do okay in that setup.
Yep all my flytraps and Sarrs live outside I was just babying that little one for a while.

From what I can see the hinge point would be the lights. What kind are they and how bright?

I have a single one of these right now the string together so I can easily add another.

T5HO with Reflector - 24 Inch - SunBlaster Lighting

I would eventually want to grow/display a cephalotus here if I can get the conditions right.

Last edited:
For a distance of 1 foot from the lights I use 4 tubes of approx. the same output for species that require high light levels such as sundews. You can offset this some by moving the light closer to the plants but you may want a higher light intensity. That was clever of you to put the temp and humidity readout in the photo. 'Saves on questions. :)

For a distance of 1 foot from the lights I use 4 tubes of approx. the same output for species that require high light levels such as sundews. You can offset this some by moving the light closer to the plants but you may want a higher light intensity. That was clever of you to put the temp and humidity readout in the photo. 'Saves on questions. :)
So you're saying I need 4 of those lights in that area to keep sundews alive?

So you're saying I need 4 of those lights in that area to keep sundews alive?

Or the equivalent if you want them to have full colors, and if they are high light species. There are a few species such as D. schizandra, prolifera and adelae that like lower light levels. As to how much you need just to keep them alive - that is harder to say. Most will survive in lower light levels but will become gangly and weak with too little. It takes a surprising amount of artificial light to equal full natural sun.

Or the equivalent if you want them to have full colors, and if they are high light species. There are a few species such as D. schizandra, prolifera and adelae that like lower light levels. As to how much you need just to keep them alive - that is harder to say. Most will survive in lower light levels but will become gangly and weak with too little. It takes a surprising amount of artificial light to equal full natural sun.
That will never happen physically not enough room for 4 of those lights.

Back