What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFS Adventures

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
This may sound crazy but I'm afraid to have a topdressing of LFS, for fear that the critters would get into it and uproot my plants.I have seen severed VFT traps, turned over pots, and plants next to their pots, dead.

Birds love Sphagnum, particularly during nesting periods but also seem to pull it up for no aparant reason during other times of the year, often taking seedlings nags and small plans with it.
Cheers
Steve

In the past, I have had a few issues with birds; but our evil black cat, Charley the Tuna, who -- ironically -- loathes fish, has kept all things bird and rodent free, for a few years . . .

Last edited:
Can I borrow Charlie?

I avoid using LFS outside because of the birds. My D. rotundifolias got ripped up last fall from a random bird attack, and I just found that pot disturbed again a couple days ago. My one Sphagnum culture outside has windowscreen draped over it at all times to protect it.

Odd, because for me freshly repotted plants without some sort of top cover gets attacked by birds and/or squirrels. Somebody around here feeds the jays/squirrels peanuts and the jays bury the nuts in pots with fresh bare medium in them. And the squirrels want to dig up the nuts. I either have to cover the pots with screen or put a top cover layer of moss or sand on them. The birds don't seem interested in dried LFS for nesting material but they kept raiding my tub of live Sphagnum.

Yeah squirrels are my problem as well. They are totally my wife's fault though because they love to get into the bird feeders :-))

I avoid using LFS outside because of the birds. My D. rotundifolias got ripped up last fall from a random bird attack, and I just found that pot disturbed again a couple days ago. My one Sphagnum culture outside has windowscreen draped over it at all times to protect it.

Window screen.... that sounds like a good idea! What a shame that we have to shield them from both predators and prey!

Back