What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photobuckt Ends 3rd Party Hosting For Lower Tier Services

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
At the end of June Photobucket changed their services to no longer support 3rd Party Image hosting on all but there top-tier Photobucket Plus 500 Subscription.

This means that you are unable to embed photos on forums and the like unless you subscribe to the Plus 500 plan at $39.99/mo or $399/yr.

If you had a Plus account of any level prior to June 1, 2017 you can still use 3rd party hosting through Dec 31, 2018 as long as you keep your account in good standing.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

It remains to be seen if other imaging hosts such as flickr and imgur will follow suit.

Good riddance. Their website has been a nightmare to use for years and it just keeps getting worse. It's too bad this change broke so many forum images though.

Flickr isn't much better. The editing part of the site has been down for months.

Flickr's website loads infinitely faster, doesn't bog the browser down, and doesn't bombard you with ads every time you visit it. Editing's really only secondary since that can be done on your computer before uploading, and Flickr's ability to share automatically-resized versions of your pictures definitely cuts down on the need to edit in the first place.

I have not used Photobucket for years because they have sucked for years. There are a ton of other free sites out there for 3rd party hosting, I use flickr myself and like it. I will not be surprised if Flickr follows Photobucket in making changes along the same lines as well, but bet the charges will be much more reasonable. I only use Flickr for posting images to forums and not as an editing device or storage for my photos, I back all my photos up to an external storage device instead of relying on an online service. Postimage.org is good for posting images to forums also, you don't have to set up an account and it is VERY easy to use. Don't bother with Tinypic, which is owned and operated by Photobucket and as much of a pain to use as Photobucket.

I've been using Flickr for months now and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an online image hosting service. Yes, it doesn't have editing capabilities but my phone can accomplish pretty much everything I need on that front.

I don't quite know how to describe this, but say you upload a series of photos, and click on one to get the four options, light it, and then paste or whatever, then hit the back button it takes you not back to where you started, but to something like the first photos you posted way beck when. And getting back to where you were is difficult or impossible. Who else does this on the web? What other website when you click the back button does not take you back to the page you were at before? With PB, that is.

Last edited:
I admit to being mystified as to why my embedded photos still link up, they are all in Photobucket, but it sounds like there is a good chance that they won't for much longer. 'Guess I'll find out. This all seems beyond grim.:-(

Last edited:
PB was a decent site in its early days. Admit I've been using it even after it started going downhill partly out of habit, partly because I already had so many pictures on there. Have no intention of paying for their site. Guess time to move to another. Any other decent site recommendations beyond those already mentioned (Flickr, or Postimage.org)?

No one mentioned it yet, but Google Photos is also a decent solution and it is unlikely they will start charging you to host the pictures.

Flickr is nice, but it's owned by Yahoo, recently bought by Verizon, so more likely than other to experience changes in the near future. But to be honest that's probably the only Yahoo-owned site that people still use and make money, so maybe they will be smart and keep it that way.

Also dropbox.com, box.com, hubic.com and other cloud storage solutions usually have an option to hosts your pictures too.

Last edited:
Imgur is pretty simple and easy. I used that before I switched to Flickr but it tends to compress images a bit so you lose some quality (probably not an issue for most people.)

I've used both Postimg and Imgur with no problems.

So . . . eight or so years of photos are now held hostage unless I pay through the nose to Photobucket? Those greasy ****s can go to hell . . .

Well, that shoe has dropped now. My apologies to any who come upon my now empty posts.

I am rather vexed with PB over this. Wonder if they will survive this new business strategy? (I know I won't be doing anything to support them.)

Using Photobucket for 3rd Party Hosting was on borrowed time as long as Photobucket doesn't support secure connections to their links (HTTPS). Bulletin Board software such as vBulletin will stop supporting 3rd Party Hosting through non-secure connections in the future.

Back