Likes Likes:  29
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: In the spotlight

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm curious if anyone has spoken with the pub and if so what is their take on the whole thing and are you guys allowed to keep meeting there?
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has spoken with the pub and if so what is their take on the whole thing and are you guys allowed to keep meeting there?
    As far as I'm aware, only one person had read the article before last weekend's meet and did not want to sour the mood by bringing it up. I do not believe anyone visits the pub outside of our monthly gatherings. Nobody from the pub said anything to us so hopefully we can just keep on like normal.

Of course the author of the article was interviewed on the local public radio station yesterday afternoon so more people will have heard about the story now. I guess we'll find out next month if anything has to change.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I have seen firsthand what a tragically misguided, conniving, dangerous group of "phytocriminals" the "Sixpence Sect" is, and I swear I've never before encountered such a dank, intimidating group of misanthropes. (lingua in maxillam)
    Thank you for noticing! OMG Paul I should have gone to the bathroom before reading.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd seen the article right before the meet but I really didn't want to discuss the piece with the rest of the group in person. Online there's less chance for heated conversations and questions can be asked articulately.

I don't think that Mat necessarily deserves so much blame, there looks to be plenty of room in the scenario for unwitting purchases and clerical mistakes or cut corners. Not having the proper paperwork when you receive your ethically grown imports seems like a smaller problem than sustaining a poaching operation or a smuggling ring. lol, if we're a smuggling ring, who's the kingpin?

the rajah plants though, that looks pretty naive. makes me wonder how much he knew about his vendor
    Last edited by raycer491; 07-11-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Here's my growlist, probably not updated and certainly isn't complete:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/gr...ight=raycer491

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. He was told he was doing illegal stuff and that his shipment was seized, yet continued to do said illegal stuff!

"On November 6, the FWS says it delivered a letter informing Orchard that his Nepenthes rajah package was seized in California. It offered him info on the CITES pact and a “buyer beware” brochure."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raycer491 View Post
    I don't think that Mat necessarily deserves so much blame, there looks to be plenty of room in the scenario for unwitting purchases and clerical mistakes or cut corners. Not having the proper paperwork when you receive your ethically grown imports seems like a smaller problem than sustaining a poaching operation

the rajah plants though, that looks pretty naive. makes me wonder how much he knew about his vendor
    I think you are being both generous and naive.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 07-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i very well may. Though I'd hesitate to call out Mat as a complete criminal without more official inquiry than the Mercury
    Last edited by raycer491; 07-12-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raycer491 View Post
    i very well may. Though I'd hesitate to call out Mat as a complete criminal without more official inquiry than the Mercury
    What will convince you? The feds, not the local newspaper, confiscated hundreds of his plants and lots of equipment. The guy even pleaded guilty and could go to prison for five years. Someone who knowingly funds poachers is absolutely a criminal. The newspaper may have made it into a nice little detective story, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Contrary to others in this thread I also don't see any badmouthing carnivorous plant communities in the article. The part on Wistuba was hazily worded and misleading (made me check if there was perhaps a reseller by the same name), but otherwise all that's written is that there was a rotten apple in the basket, and it was thrown out. Nothing more, nothing less.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast