What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turface and APS?

• Thread starter Sashoke
  • Start date
I am trying to find a replacement for Perlite because in my experience it just seems overpriced for the product I get. I am always getting small pieces, half the bags always dust and after a year or so all of the perlite in my mixes collects together so its not even really serving its purpose anymore.

SO I wanted to know if Turface would be a suitable and safe replacement for Perlite for all CPs, mainly Nepenthes though. I havent seen much on this topic so I was hoping to get a confirmation if it is safe.

Here is the product in question:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hirt-s-G...3781&wl11=online&wl12=970095788&wl13=&veh=sem

It claims to be just bits of fired clay.

I would only use Turface for specific plants that will tolerate laterite/ultramific-type soils. I've had it cause problems with Drosera being in the same water tray as Pings planted in Turface before. It would certainly be suitable for some Nepenthes, though not all.

Pumice would likely be the best all-around substitute for perlite.

I would only use Turface for specific plants that will tolerate laterite/ultramific-type soils. I've had it cause problems with Drosera being in the same water tray as Pings planted in Turface before. It would certainly be suitable for some Nepenthes, though not all.

Ah, I hadnt though of pumice. Its completely safe for all CPs? Does pumice do the same thing perlite does where it floats to the top of pots?

Ah, I hadnt though of pumice. Its completely safe for all CPs? Does pumice do the same thing perlite does where it floats to the top of pots?

It should be. Horticultural pumice is actually fairly heavy so if anything it's going to sink if your peat becomes liquified, similar to sand.

I use Orchid bark. The only one I've seen that has ferts is Miracle Grow. The one I have has charcoal,Perlite and Bark. You can find some with just the bark throw. There is also something called Kiwi bark witch is like orchid bark but a harder would and it breaks down slower.

Do you know if bonsai pumice like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Pumic...qid=1506548471&sr=8-4&keywords=potting+pumice

Is usually fertilized or anything? I cant seem to find any info saying if it is fertilized or not which leads me to believe it isnt.

I wouldn't expect any additives, but bonsai supplies are extremely expensive. You should be able to find pumice at local bark/sand/gravel/landscaping supply companies or possibly even garden centers. I got a 50 pound bag of some greyish pumice for $5, though I've only used it for a couple plants.

Interesting observation about having issues with drosera (not in turface) in a tray with pings in turface! I have exactly that set-up at the moment. And although this is my first summer with many of the drosera species I have, as I just got them in the spring, I feel like my dews just look a little 'tired', when I feel like they should look amazing after a great growing season. I think I might move the pings and dews into separate trays and see if they perk up.

Also [MENTION=11299]Sashoke[/MENTION] - thanks for this thread. I hate perlite, but hadn't thought of pumice as a substitute for carnivorous plants (thanks nimbulan).

FYI - I have used a small portion of grow stones in peat mixes for sarracenia and a couple drosera. Mostly peat, sand, and a bit of grow stones (not the same amount you might use if you were using perlite) - mostly because I had it on hand. I have a few concerns about what I've read about the grow stones leaching and causing mixes to be/get more basic. So, I haven't put too many plants in a mix with grow stones - mostly a few duplicates that I can risk. I'm not really recommending it, as I haven't tried side-by-side tests. And I think some plants could have an issue with the properties of the grow stone media.

PS. The tired-looking drosera aren't the ones with grow stones in the mix. Those are mostly in pure LFS.

uK4Mtn0.jpg

which ping species did you attempt to grow turface on? i propagated and grew these on turface. im curious about akadama and turface being used to grow cephs.
be cautious about using pumice--- it has a tendency to dry out very quickly.

All of my Mexican Pings are in Turface right now, check my growlist in my signature. I'm looking at adding a small amount of peat to help the pots wick water up from the tray though since it seems like the dryness of the pure Turface at my ambient humidity is limiting the growth of the plants, and also making it difficult to grow small ones without regular attention.

I can't find pumice or turface in my area. Tried once to "sledgehammer" (let there be no doubt about it) grill rock, but it just would not break.

I can't find pumice or turface in my area. Tried once to "sledgehammer" (let there be no doubt about it) grill rock, but it just would not break.

It took me quite a while to find Turface, but finally found a company called Ewing Irrigation that sells it. It's primarily a contractor supply store but I didn't have any trouble buying a bag. There are several stores in your area.

I'll see if I can locate one. Thanks!

Check for John Deere stores in the area. They may have or can get Turface.

I have tried Turface with several different CP's over the years.
Most Pings & Helis love it. Have some Pings that only like a little Truface with a more peat based soil.
Most other CP's do OK in it, but better without in my experience.

Back