What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

self watering

• Thread starter wilsonLYM
  • Start date
Hiiii

i'm news to gardening and how much water they really need.
Singapore is hot and humid and some plant dry up really fast.

z4yPmQ.jpg

pilea depressa --> rabbit foot fern --> selaginella

i made a self watering "watering from bottom" setup.

false bottom with plastic pieces to rise the height to collect water and
attach with moist cloth on top.

Selaginella is doing well and growing but have a very slightly sour smell for days but no sign of rotting.
Rabbit foot fern not much changes.
pilea Depressa seem drowning.

i wonder if this setup is really safe for all plants?

Last edited:
Some update with wet Cloth bottom
- killed my pilea depresssa and
Selaginella
rabbit foot is doing fine.

so i did another setup with sphagnum moss bottom and water reservoir below, it did quite well
until i start to worry tht the soil is constant between moist to wet and some leaves turning yellow.

i also did another set up with cotton rope wick method

the result was very good. the plant absorb the water well.

after a weeks. some pants leaves turn soft and yellow and dropping off.

the soil was very wet.
I have to pour out all the water from reservoir, and hopefully some plant can be saved.

there are alot of wick tutorial can be found online, they were saying the plant will absorb the water from the wet rope.
But it rather seem like the soil is absorbing alot of water from the rope through the reservoir. and making the soil completely wet.
wonder if i have setup wrongly, using too thick rope? or i should have used one rope is enough.

anyone succeed with using wick watering method? really need some help and advice:)
thanks

Last edited:
I recommend using a synthetic rope rather than cotton as it is rot resistant. Cotton rope will rot and the unwanted organisms causing that will move to the roots of your plants. Also, you can adjust the amount of moisture moving from your reservoir to the soil in your pots by changing the amount of wicking material (rope/cord) you have in the soil, also where you place it. More wick in the pot means wetter soil. Wick at the bottom will make for less moisture at the crown of the soil while more at the top will make the soil more moist throughout.

'Hope this helps.

The watering has been done much accroding to the temperature and so the soil didn't not get dry.

Back