What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens when you cross a tropical plant with a temperate plant?

I just found myself thinking about crossing drosera rotundifolia with drosera capensis what would happen? Would it still need dormancy or would it become tropical or somewhere in between which trait is dominant I honestly cannot come to a conclusion about this except lets try it!

The plant has no true "need" for a dormancy, but is more than capable of going dormant if conditions arise (and capensis might not be the best example of a "tropical" species, as it grows in a Mediterranean/Maritime temperate region that does see frost and occasional snow and so it has means of enduring such conditions in a semi-dormant manner in some forms). Crosses like these already exist in abundance (the one you mention is unofficially and technically improperly named D. x "rotensis"), and this habit is seen in most of them, like new versions of D. x tokaiensis var. hygaensis, D. x belezeana ("eloisiana") made with the tropical forms of intermedia, intermedia x madagascariensis even, etc.

Back