What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmugMug Acquires Fliickr

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/04/20/smugmug-buys-flickr-verizon-oath/537377002/

Flickr was recently acquired Flickr from Verizon (who now "owns" Yahoo). There seems to be confusion as to what this means to users who have accounts on Flickr. According to the USAToday article SmugMug CEO Don MacAskil hasn't made any decisions (at the time the article was published). According to the FAQs published on the SmugMug website nothing significant is changing for Flickr users and both will remain separate. Free accounts will still be free, SmugMug does not have free accounts. However an email posted by someone on another forum supposedly from Flickr states that all Flickr accounts (photos, videos and all) will be migrated automatically to Smugmug. If you don't want to migrate to SmugMug you have until May 25, 2018 to delete your Flickr account. So far no one else seems to have received this email, or at least I haven't.

We will just have to wait and see how things play out but be prepared for possibly losing your Flickr accounts.

Stuff like this is the reason why I mostly post on Facebook and Instagram now, aside from being far easier to use, I don't have to worry about my photos randomly disappearing. Photo-sharing websites are really trying their best to kill forums, it seems.

That's why I turned on the ability for everyone to post photos directly to the forum... Sucks that so many photos went away with that last major change. :-(

This has been all part of their plan. They're pushing us to FB so that Zuck can sell data on our plants to Russian hackers working to influence the election.

I'll be here as long as some people would like to join me. :-D:-O

That's why I turned on the ability for everyone to post photos directly to the forum... Sucks that so many photos went away with that last major change. :-(

And we greatly appreciate this.

Several other members on the other forum (photography related) have said they have received the same email. Looking at the message, it is perhaps poorly worded. By transferring the accounts and all your files it might be meant like transferring the title for some property (like "your" car) to another title company. The property doesn't change, just the company that holds the title.??? :0o:

Thank you for the link, NaN. Initially, some of us thought that it could be a predatory/rival-removing purchase, but now I can see that they are a way better parent than verizon, and Smugmug seems to appreciate the community aspect of Flickr. A for-profit company could change their positions based on money flow, but it seems to be ok for now. We'll see how it goes.

Back