What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mineral substrate

• Thread starter schmiggle
  • Start date
tl;dr does anyone grow Pinguicula in straight gypsum, and if so, where do you get it?

I had noticed that many cacti looked very different in cultivation and in the wild, and also that I found the wild version much nicer in many cases. After a bit of digging, it turns out that if the cacti are grown in entirely mineral substrates (along with full sun and proper day/night temp changes, etc.) they looked much more like wild cacti. One of the cacti used in the article I found was Aztekium ritteri, which in the wild grows in straight gypsum and was therefore grown that way in cultivation by this guy. However, there are some Mexican pinguicula that grow in straight gypsum as well. I've seen people grow Nepenthes campanulata in straight limestone on here, and I have been able to find solid limestone, although I believe it's overpriced. However, all the gypsum I've been able to find is either powdered or sold as little meditation aids (given the size of the things I'm trying to grow, a 4" tall meditation aid might actually be big enough, but I'm not convinced it works for everything). Given that there are Mexican Pinguicula that do grow on gypsum cliffs, as I understand it, I was curious if anyone has tried to grow them in a similar way in cultivation, and if so, what the results were and where you found gypsum in that form.

suite

Bonjour

I grow some mexican species in gypsum with a good result ( gypsicola,colimensis,medusinae,immaculata,nivalis)

you can grow also these specie in calcareous mineral substrate it is good also.

I use these substrate for the gypsum species : pure gypsum (crushed) 30% river sand 70%( I incorporate river sand to prevent my substrate from being too hard,the gypsum powder turns into plaster )

jeff

Last edited:
Back