What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting question, mostly for cattleya

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Hi all. I live in a split foyer house (raised ranch) and have a triangular space opposite the front door where the stairway splits into two. A half flight up and a second half flight down at an angle. I would like to use the space to over winter my large cattleya orchids. I need recommendations for lighting the space. Preferably with something that I can clip onto the railing above as I have no way to hang lights unless I put a frame up as well. The space is approximately 4ft on two sides and 5ft across the front.

Thanks all
Chib

Greetings, m'dear!

Well bulb-wise, I'd say either try to find a large/strong daylight spectrum LED bulb(s) or a large daylight spectrum cfl bulb(s). (Menard's seemed to be the best source for the latter last I looked.) As far as the lamp itself goes, depends on what you are able to clamp a lamp onto or if you can hang a lamp down or drill a hole in the wall for a mount from which to suspend a lamp.

Decided on a four foot 2 bulb T8 light hung from brackets over the long side. Thought about going LED but we're moving next spring and not sure how I will be setting things up. Holding off on radical changes till then.

Back