What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sweet spot for VFT/Drosera and Live Sphagnum

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date

upper

Capensis Killer
I'm in California, so it's bright, sunny, and hot. Now I started experimenting with a bit of live sphagnum outdoor with my little mini bog and it started bleaching. I think that's a sign of too much light or heat.
I'm going to try putting it in a shadier area or put some shade cloth over it.

Does anyone here have some cool picture of both VFT/Drosera and Live Sphagnum together for motivation? :)

Last edited:
I'm sure you are looking for member's personal vft & spag photos, as photos are easy to find on the web. I don't grow any vft now, but a quick image search brought this:

venus-flytrap-1578f-ps.jpg

Hopefully members will post up photos of their own.
Good Luck with your plants!

Last edited:
I'm in California, so it's bright, sunny, and hot. Now I started experimenting with a bit of live sphagnum outdoor with my little mini bog and it started bleaching. I think that's a sign of too much light or heat.
I'm going to try putting it in a shadier area or put some shade cloth over it.

Does anyone here have some cool picture of both VFT/Drosera and Live Sphagnum together for motivation? :)

I'm sure you are looking for member's personal vft & spag photos, as photos are easy to find on the web. I don't grow any vft now, but a quick image search brought this:

venus-flytrap-1578f-ps.jpg

Hopefully members will post up photos of their own.
Good Luck with your plants!

Man I'd love to know what condition that is grown in. I love it! Not understanding how a VFT can get so red as it only gets red with high intensity lights, but with high intensity light, the sphagnum starts bleaching.

Dionaea and sphagnum both grow in full sun in their native habitat, so no, high intensity lights or full sun growth will not bleach sphagnum that is healthy and has been acclimated to said conditions.

Dionaea and sphagnum both grow in full sun in their native habitat, so no, high intensity lights or full sun growth will not bleach sphagnum that is healthy and has been acclimated to said conditions.

[MENTION=9012]hcarlton[/MENTION]
Got a quart sized bag of sphagnum. whole bag bleached within one day in California, at about 90-95F direct sunlight
Putting the whole bog in partial shade now, but only a few spot of greens are left. Maybe they just need to be acclimated first.

Don't you have any sphagnum bogs in California?

Don't you have any sphagnum bogs in California?

"Sphagnum in California is restricted to perennially saturated soils in bogs and fens — waterlogged sites that depend upon up-welling of perennially cold water. The distribution of each species seems to be relictual in that each of the California species is strongly discontinuous in distribution. Sphagnum has never been found with sporophytes in California."

Some are found close by fort bragg, but that's coastal and is much cooler and has a lot less intense sun due to the marine layer.

Back