What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attention all Flickr Users!

• Thread starter hcarlton
  • Start date
Some saw this coming from miles off, but Flickr is going the same way Photobucket did. All free accounts will be relegated to 1,000 images, period, unless you pay $50 to upgrade and retain all your pics.

Is there a date this is going to happen yet?

After February 5, all free accounts with over 1,000 photos will have everything over the limit, oldest first, systematically deleted. January 8 is the cutoff for upgrading or downloading any photos on there.
Unfortunately, I have too many images on there to try and download them all and move them anywhere in a timely fashion, but I'm also broke. So, having to hope I actually get sales up again to cover the upgrade...I hate doing so, but the account has been more useful to me than other options I've looked into would be.

Well I'm sure everyone saw this coming when they got bought by that other photography website. At least they're being clear and up-front about it unlike Photobucket's mess that was impossible to find information about.

Yeah, the reason I nuked all my photos here is because they were trying to sell everyone's photos on photobucket to make a neat pile of money off of everyone's content, in addition to making everyone have to pay to have access to all their own photos to boot. Too bad, it was good while it lasted.

I'm glad I don't really use flickr because otherwise I'd get mad all over again.:censor::censor::censor:

You can download your albums from Flickr in ZIP files. Just go to your albums and queue up zip downloads. When the zips are ready there will be a notification in your Flickr mailbox with a download link.

If you are over the 1000 file limit after Jan 8, 2019 you will not be able to upload to your account. Whether or not you will be able to upload again if you delete files after the 8th is unclear.

People want to malign Photobucket but after a change of management they restored 3rd party hosting for free accounts and dropped their rates by over 90% and re-instituted month to month plans. Their current basic paid subscription is lower than Flickr's lowest plan. Besides all you needed was a browser add-on to view linked Photobucket images.

Photobucket never threatened to or deleted files or restricted uploads on free accounts when they instituted their new rates. You can't say that about Flickr.

Photobucket will add a "Proudly Hosted by Photobucket" to images served on free accounts. I can live with that. Flickr, Image Shack and others add text blurbs or watermarks to the BBC code when you share photos too.

Flickr's downfall was offering a terabyte of storage on free accounts. What did they think would happen? Disk drives might be cheap these days but the servers, space and electricity to run them and their environmental controls isn't. You can see where they are hurting by forcing free accounts either to pay up or decrease their disk space usage.

so what's our best option for a free service now?

Back